Chapter 42: Strange Possibilities

Start from the beginning

"They are pirates. They should be near the sea since it's the only place they know. I think they should stay in the West Land," a representative from the West Land added. He grinned triumphantly as if it was already decided.

With clenched fists, I stood up and looked at them. "Stay in the West Land? How? Are you going to put the sea and a little island inside your jail?" I asked sarcastically.

"Lady Primrose, calm down." I felt Lord William's hand behind my back. But it didn't ease the tension that was building inside me. Shocked faces were looking back at me and I immediately realized that I would not get them on my side if I act like this. So breathing deeply, and letting out a confident and formal smile, I continued, "Being a pirate is what they know when they're in the sea. And we are all aware that piracy is a huge crime in our land. However, if you're going to let me bring them to the East Land and teach them the ways of our domain, we could surely find them useful and worthy of a second chance. They might even see this as a better way of living. I hope that this council would not kill an excellent idea just because you are afraid of the possibilities."

And with a graceful motion of my fingers in the air, I ended my statement and sat on my chair. If I had a different persona in the room, I would definitely applaud myself for being in control of my anger. The tension in the room almost emptied me of my energy but the adrenaline rush kept me poised until we reached the voting.

In the end, I had most of the delegates on my side aside from Lord Emmanuel and the representatives of the West Land. The ruler of the North Castle seemed to disapprove that Boris sided with me and ended the political meeting in the most serious, unhappy tone. Of course, he wouldn't be happy. Lord Magnus would probably seething in anger once he heard of this.

But as for me, I received all their congratulations and walked out of the room like I was the victorious winner of the competition. I never thought that it would feel this great to pass a certain political decision. I might start joining Lord William in attending events such as this.

"You're excellent back there. You handled yourself well," a voice called from behind me. I stopped on my way to my room and turned around only to face Lord Boris who was utterly handsome and standing confidently in the middle of the hallway.

"Maybe I've faced more challenging situations than this to know what to do," I answered, smirking.

He crossed the distance between us in few long strides and in just a moment, he was already standing in front of me. The cat must have gotten my smart tongue for suddenly, I couldn't speak any words. He caught me off-guard.

"I have another proposition to you. It is a thing that only you can do and which I believe would benefit both to East Land and North Land." He spoke casually like he couldn't sense the discomfort in me.

"And what is that?" I asked curiously. If it was for the East Land, I must put it in to consideration.

"Marry me," he answered.

And this time, I was completely stunned. I had known Lord Boris because he's the son of Lord Emmanuel. But we weren't completely acquainted with each other. I saw him as a handsome man who was too formal and cold for my liking. He was all business and his moves were calculated. He must have his reasons why he was choosing me out of all the noble ladies who had their eyes on him.

"I am aware of your engagement with Lord Chester Weston of the West Land. And I also know about your disapproval of it. You're the kind of woman who will not let your bloodline tie you down. And I'm sure that it can only be done if you agree on it," he added.

Finally, someone from the mainland made me feel that I was capable of doing things myself - that I can make my own decisions. However, even though I was impressed, my heart would still not open its door for a possibility with him. It remained locked and dark, waiting for a particular someone to knock and bring back the light.