Chapter 29 - Love Marks

Start from the beginning

"Get back in bed, doll," he said with a smug chuckle before turning and slapping her ass so hard she fell forwards.

"You're an asshole," she mumbled, crawling back under the covers. Negan stood and put on a new pair of jeans. "Where are you going?"

"We were out for a few hours but it's just after dark so we may as fuckin' well stay in," he began, pulling a gray t-shirt over his head. "I'll get someone to bring dinner up.

"I like your tattoos," she said distractedly as they disappeared under his shirt. "I never got any."

"You wanted one?" he asked, pulling on his boots.

"I always thought I'd get a bunch but I never had the money to spare," she shrugged with a hint of sadness. "Now it's too late." Negan frowned slightly and sauntered over to the side of the bed, Aven grunting as she pushed herself up on her knees, her inner thighs protesting further exertion.

"You know what would look really fucking cool?" he said. "My name as a tramp stamp." Aven scoffed and rolled her eyes.

"Too bad I'm not one of your tramps."

"No, of course not," he said. "You're my only tramp." Aven knew he'd gotten rid of his wives and was focusing on her, but she was still skeptical about him knowing what he wanted.

"You don't need to do that, you know," she mumbled, sitting back in the bed.

"What?"

"You don't have to commit yourself to me," she replied.

"Don't do that," he ordered gruffly.

"What?"

"Don't start thinking I'm gonna fuckin' drop you just because you let me fuck you," he replied frustratedly as though he'd anticipated the sentiment.

"I just don't want you to think you're stuck just because I'm here now. I can leave any time."

"Is that what this is?" he asked tensely. "Do you want to leave now? 'Cause you can leave any fucking time you want, doll."

"No I can't!" she scoffed. "Last time I tried to leave, you followed me into the fucking woods."

"And five minutes later a huge fucking herd of walkers came through, so you're fucking lucky I was there to help."

"Even if I'd needed help, Daryl was already stepping in."

"You wouldn't have let him take you anywhere. And even if you did, guess where the fuck you'd end up: right back fucking here after going home with the pricks who killed my men." Aven was momentarily out of arguments because he was right: she probably wouldn't have gone near Daryl if he'd tried to offer her a ride or shelter.

"Let's not forget that the reason he stepped in anyway was because you wouldn't let me go," she reminded him.

"Let's not forget that you kneed me in the fucking balls and pulled your knife."

"Because you wouldn't let me go!"

"Then go if you want to go!" he yelled, pointing towards the door. Aven glared at him for a long, silent moment, her mouth set in a hard line.

"I'm hungry," she grunted, looking away and leaning against the headboard with her arms crossed. Negan let out a heavy sigh and ran a hand through his hair, letting another tense moment pass before he finally turned and left to head to the kitchen. He stalked down the hallway, wondering if Aven was right, not because he didn't know he wanted her but because he was staring to doubt that she wasn't in more control all along than he thought and that he wasn't falling for an elaborate and masterful act. If she was so angry about being there, why was she there?