“What do you want Liam?” I ask coldly.

“Just to say that over the next four weeks I’ll be seeing you every Tuesday morning, starting tomorrow, and also every Friday night for a couple of hours.” The dreaded one-on-ones. “You don’t know how hard it is to fit you all into my schedule.”

“Awww poor little Alpha.” I coo sarcastically. “Too many future brides to see?” And then his words catch up with me. “Friday night?” I repeat.

“Yes.” He says slowly. “Problem?”

“Just that Friday night is well Friday night. Don’t you have exciting things to do on Friday nights?” He leans close to me, close enough that I can smell the mint on his breath and feel the warmth of his body surrounding me as his tall frame towers over me.

“Not anymore, I’m stuck with you.” His words break the spell he has over me and I take a step forwards successfully forcing him to take a step back so I can close my front door. He raises an eyebrow.

“Well thanks for letting me know. I actually have some place to be so you can leave now.” I say putting on a fake cheery voice. He glares down at me and straightens his back to make himself taller, which is actually quiet intimidating.

“I am so out of your league it’s laughable.” His eyes rake over my body once again but I stand in defiance and don’t let it affect me. “Look at you, you don’t even attempt to make an effort and you have next to know self-confidence. If you were to be my mate this pack would be a laughing stock, I would never be able to show my face anywhere.” His words hurt like physical blows to my stomach but I don’t move, I don’t speak, I don’t even breathe. When I think he’s finished I turn and lock my front door and then push past him and power walk down my driveway leaving him standing there and not looking back. I shouldn’t care that he doesn’t want me as his mate… and really I don’t. What is hurting the most is my pride, those were some serious blows and honestly to have something like that said to you with such sincerity and such ferociousness it does have an impact. As I walk down my road in the direction of Mandy’s I feel the tears stinging my eyes and a few tumble down my cheeks.

If that is how he feels why should I even bother? Why doesn’t he just tell his dad who he can’t stand and let the ones he actually wants fight it out?

Putting this whole thing to the back of my mind as best I can I pull out my Ipod and stick the headphones in my ears, it’s usually a good distraction. Drowning out the world and enveloping myself in the tones of Patrick Monahan and the rest of the guys from Train, I bob my head and concentrate on the words. That fact that my headphones block out all noise and that my Ipod is blaring should be a bad thing. I can’t hear cars when I’m crossing the road, I’m not concentrating on what’s around and I don’t know if someone is behind me, some of the things my mum loves to remind of. Which I guess is why when a strong, hand tightly wraps around my shoulder, and my heart-skips a beat, I act without thinking and drop to the floor pivoting on one foot to deliver a round kick into the shins of the person who drops to the ground in front of me.

“Oh my God, I am so sorry.” I say as I pull my headphones out. “But in my defence you shouldn’t sneak up on a girl!”

“Sneak up… I’ve been calling your name since you turned onto this road.” Liam groans as he changes positions on the pavement so he is sitting on his bum and rubbing at his shin.  I’m still angry at him but seeing him there puts a smile on my face. I dangle my headphones in front of him.

“I couldn’t hear much past these.”

He gives me a flat stare “What was that?” He says wincing.

“That was a well-trained girl taken by surprise by an unknown male.” I shrug my shoulders, still feeling guilty but also slightly proud of myself.

“Who do you think you are Buffy the Vampire Slayer? Danger isn’t lurking around every corner you know.” He pushes himself to his feet and straightens his jeans brushing them down to get the dirt of “We live in pack territory not a town like London”. There is laughter from behind him and he growls low in his chest. “This is your fault you know.” He turns to look at the person hidden behind his back and I crane my neck to get a glimpse.

Harry is leaning against a sleek black Range Rover, dressed in all black to match and wearing a pair of dark sunglasses over his eyes the only part of him that gives away any emotion is the grin he has plastered on his face. “Well I thought that was hilarious.” He says shrugging his shoulders, his head turns in my direction and even though I can’t see his eyes I can feel the weight of his gaze on me. “I told you not to mess with her. She is George’s daughter, what did you expect?”

“I expected you not to let something like that happen, what with you being my head of security and all.” Liam bites back.

“I don’t see her as a serious threat, just a mild one. You’re a big boy I think you can handle this one, well at least I thought you could.” I don’t know whether being ‘just a mild threat’ is a compliment or an insult but looking at the size of him to be any kind of threat of at all must be impressive. He doesn’t move but he does pull out his phone and starts playing with the touch screen, he is relaxed but ready for action at the slightest hint of something amiss. Baffled by what has just happen I turn to leave again, Liam insults me and then ignores my presence whilst I stand staring at him and his friend like an idiot. I only take one step before his hand lands on my shoulder again.

“Do we need a repeat?” I ask without looking at him.

“No, we definitely don’t want that.” He says with humour in his voice, his hand doesn’t move though. It’s unfortunate for me that when he isn’t degrading and humiliating me that the tones of his voice cause my knees to go weak.

“So what do you want now? Got something else to say? Something even more hurtful perhaps?” Shrugging out of his hold and turning to look up at him with no emotion on my face, hoping that it would seem his words have had little effect on me.

“I wanted…” He rubs is hand on the back of his neck and through his hair so the strands stick up in funny directions, before falling back into his signature mop of golden hair. “I wanted to apologise.” I gape at him, like with my mouth hanging open and everything.

“Apologise?”

“Yeah, well I’m not usually such a dick. I don’t usually say things to intentionally hurt people.” I found this hard to believe from what I heard about his reputation but I let him continue anyway. “But I care for my brother.” Ah this is about Hunter. “And you hurt him yesterday and that was my retaliation. And I’m sorry. But as Harry pointed out, I may have pushed it a little too far. No matter what I said, two wrongs don’t make a right.” Until his last sentence I was buying his apology.

“Excuse me. Wrongs?”

“Yeah wrongs. You said things that we don’t agree with, I said things that I didn’t actually mean. It’s all in the heat of the moment”

“So you don’t agree that you and your family are showing a blatant disregard for the lives of the girls involved?”

“No I don’t, only one girl has been harmed so far and she is going to make a full recovery.” He says with a self-satisfied smirk.

Turning my back on him once more I begin to walk away and this time he doesn’t stop me, but I have one more thing to say and I shout it over my shoulder. “There are still two rounds left and anything can happen, I just hope for your sake that your conscience can handle it.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This one is rather short but if i remember correctly the next one is a long one. I've just recently hit 600 followers so for those who have followed me and are reading this thank you so much :D