Asshole [Reed900]

Start from the beginning

When they arrived at the house, Gavin already was able to see what kind of people lived there. He grew up in this sort of neighborhood. People here often were poor, constantly on drugs, and aggressive. He approached the door, followed by Conan, and a blonde woman with sunken eyes and a scar on her chin opened up shortly after Gavin rang the bell.
"Who are you?", she asked aggressively.
Gavin showed her his identification badge and began to speak. "Hello Mrs. Miller, I'm Detective Reed from the DPD and we've received reports about child abuse from your neighbors. We came to check and ask a few questions." The women spotted Conan and huffed.
"Fuck off, you have no right to be here, especially with an android. Bastards!" She tried to slam the door, but Conan held it open with one hand.
"Actually, I do have the right. And if you don't cooperate, there will be consequences", Gavin answered and glared at her provocatively. "Believe me, you don't want more problems than you already have." The woman seemed to think about it for a few seconds, then she grunted and stepped back to let them in. "Jason, the fucking police is here to ask a few questions", she yelled into the room next to her and made her way into the kitchen. A boy sat there in front of the table and stared at his hands. He maybe was around ten years old.
"What do they want?", a male voice yelled back from another room. The woman glared at the boy. "It's something about Henry", she answered. A rumble could be heard, and a few seconds later, a fat man with oily hair entered the room. "What did you do, freak?", he yelled at the boy.
Gavin decided to intervene. "The kid did nothing. We've received reports about child abuse", he explained with dislike in his voice. He couldn't stand people like that.
"Child abuse? This thing isn't even a child!", the man, Jason, said and grasped the boys arm. He pulled him from his chair anything but gently. The boy let out a cry of fear and got a slap on the back of his head for that.
"Hey!", Gavin said loudly to put a stop to this. "Let go of the child or you'll get yourself a bullet!"
"This isn't a child, for fucks sake!", Jason repeated and ruggedly turned the boys head so that Gavin was able to see a LED on the side of his forehead.
"It doesn't matter", Conan suddenly said with an unknown authority in his voice. "He has the same rights as a human child."
"I won't let a fucking android tell me what to do with my property!", Jason answered aggressively. The boy anxiously looked back and forth between Conan and his father. Conan slowly approached the man with an intimidating energy that radiated off of him. "Let go of the child, Mr. Miller", he said with a warning tone. Jason suddenly drew a gun with his free hand and aimed it at Conan with anger. The boy screamed and began to cry.
"Go the fuck away, android!", Jason yelled, but Conan didn't move. Gavin decided to pull his gun too, and pointed it directly towards the mans head.
"Shoot the android and you're fucking dead. Let go of the child and lay down the weapon. Slowly! Put your hands were I can see them."
Jason stared at him for a while, but then he obeyed. The boy ran towards Gavin and hid behind his back. As soon as Jason let go of the gun, Conan grasped his arms and put them behind his back to handcuff him. "You're under arrest. We'll call for backup that will take you and your wife to the police department. I would advise you to stay quiet for your own sake until you get a lawyer." Jason just glared at the still crying boy.
"When this is over, you'll fucking die, Henry", he said and Conan let him fall over his feet. Gavin put away his gun and handcuffed the woman, while Conan slowly approached the boy. He knelt down in front of him, and for the first time Gavin thought he'd see emotions in his look. While Conan tried to calm down the child, Gavin stared at Mr. and Mrs. Miller warningly and called for backup.

When the other policemen finally arrived, Conan already manged to make the boy stop crying and went into the living room with him. Gavin gave his colleagues all the information they needed and then followed his forced partner. The android sat on the sofa next to the boy and watched the silent kid. Gavin wasn't really eager to talk to the child, but he knew he had to. So he knelt down in front of him and demanded Conan to record the conversation. "So, your name is Henry, is that right?", he asked. The little boy stared at his hands when he nodded. "Good, then tell me about your parents. Did they harm you before?" Again, the boy nodded. "Can you tell me what they did to you?", Gavin asked impatiently and got a warning look from Conan. Gavin glared back at him. He had never been good with children. And this one was an android as well! Conan began to speak now, and sounded unusually gentle. "Henry, you probably went through a hard time, and you certainly don't want to think about it. But to help you as good as possible, we have to know as much as we can. You can trust us, you are safe now."
Henry looked up at Gavin, his eyes still wet from all the tears. "They hate me. They always beat me."
"What exactly did they do to you?", Gavin asked as empathetic as possible.
The boy began to cry again, and Conan laid one arm around him. "They took everything they had and threw it after me. They yelled at me all the time. Dad was the worst. Sometimes, when it was night, he and some of his friends would come into my room and undress me. And then themselves. I didn't want it, but I had to-", the boy was shaken from all of his sobbing, and Gavin felt anger rising in his chest again. But not towards the kid, but his so called parents. There were two things he hated more than androids. Child abusers and pedophiles. Gavin laid one hand on the boys shoulder and looked him in the eyes. "They won't hurt you ever again, trust me!", he said with a grim voice. "I'll personally lock them up." Henry looked at him through his tears and then suddenly hugged Gavin without a warning. The kid was shaking. The Detective was taken by surprise, but he then decided to stroke the boys back calmingly. Conan however stood up and left the room. Gavin looked after him with furrowed brows, but stayed at the boys side. Then, he heard the muffled sound of a fist meeting its target and a cry of pain afterwards.

On their way back to the DPD, Gavin and Conan both said nothing for a long time. The boy was in the safe hands of the responsible authorities and Mr. and Mrs. Miller were on the way to their cells.
"You helped an android", Conan stated after a while.
Gavin huffed. "It was a child", he said. Conan looked at him with his piercing blue eyes.
"But it was an android."
"It doesn't matter, it was a child!", Gavin answered with annoyance.
"You showed empathy towards an android."
"For fucks sake, the parents were psychopaths and the child was crying. Now shut the fuck up." Conan looked back on the street, when Gavin decided to turn the tables. "You hit that Jason-guy."
"I know", Conan answered and Gavin frowned.
"So your programming had a short circuit or what?"
"No. You may not want to understand that, but I'm actually thinking for myself.  He deserved it."
Gavin said nothing for a while. "I should report that behavior to Captain Fowler."
Conan looked at him again. "You're an asshole, Detective Reed", he declared. Gavin grinned complacently, and for the first time, a slight smile went across the androids face, too.