five ● jaehwa

The doorbell rang. I slid the deadbolt and opened the door. Hongseok was smiling down at me.

"Hey!" He said cheerfully. 

"Hey, come in. It's only 6, so Mom's making dinner. You can join us if you want."

"Great."

I called out to my mom, who was in the kitchen. "Mom, we're going to be in my room if you need us!"

"Don't have too much fun!" She answered, causing my ears to turn red.

Hoping Hongseok didn't notice, I opened the door to my room with a flourish. "Welcome to my humble living quarters."

Hongseok entered and sat down on my bed. "Whoa, did you draw these?" He said, gazing at the bulletin board with my sketches on them.

"Yeah." I answered.

"They're amazing! You should definitely go to art school."

 "Thanks." I sat down next to him, not wanting to discuss my art any further, feeling a bit embarrassed.

"So. How did it go at the arcade?" I asked.

"...Not so good." He relayed everything that happened.

"That's just great. Well, hopefully by tomorrow Kino will simmer down and you guys will go back to normal."

"Yeah, hopefully." Hongseok echoed.

There was an awkward silence. I guess inviting a boy, especially Hongseok, into my room wasn't the best idea. I was immensely grateful when my mom called for us to eat.

After dinner, Hongseok said, "Thanks for the great food, Mrs. Ye. I'm going to get going now. See you, Jaehwa." He embraced me in a quick hug and left, making my heart flutter a bit. Oh my gosh, Jaehwa. Please stop freaking out.

My mom turned to me with a sly grin on her face. "You two would make a cute couple."

"Mom!" I groaned.

She giggled. "I'm just saying, if you two were to date, I wouldn't be opposed to the idea."

"That's it. I'm leaving now." I ran to my room and plopped face-down on my bed, shutting the door behind me. I pulled out my phone to text Changgu.

JaeJae: !!!!!!

OneYeo: hongseok again

JaeJae: how'd you know

OneYeo: I have my ways 🤫

OneYeo: what did he do this time 

JaeJae: he frickin hugged me

OneYeo: 😲😲😲

OneYeo: i didn't think i would ever want to say this but

JaeJae: ???

OneYeo: I SHIP IT

JaeJae: I THOUGHT YOU WERE ON MY SIDE

OneYeo: 🚢 <----- the ship sailing

I threw my phone on the bed. Why do all the people close to me have to ship us together? First my mom, and now Changgu. This is getting ridiculous.

  ●  

End of school, the next day

As I was opening my locker, Kino approached me.

"Hi, Jaehwa!"