The Ghostly

I stretch and yawn when I wake up the next morning. It's probably around noon, and I'm glad that I finally got to sleep in. My eyes gradually open, adjusting to the light around.

I lean up in the bed, scratching the back of my neck. I'm hungry.

Kicking my legs off the bed, I stand up, stumbling around when I start to lose my balance. I yawn some more as I walk into the living room. Chase is sitting on the couch with Muffin sleeping beside him. He flips through the channels on the TV, finally settling on SpongeBob SquarePants.

"Morning, sunshine," He comments as I slug on into the living room, making a smile come onto my face.

I lazily drag my feet into the kitchen, getting a packet of Oreos. I pour some milk into a glass and shuffle back into the living room, sitting beside Muffin.

"I miss Oreos," Chase whines, eyeing my packet.

"Turn the TV," I ignore him. "Put it on something good."

"I like SpongeBob," He states, pointing to the yellow sponge. "He was a part of my childhood."

"You know who was a part of mine?" I question him, raising an eyebrow. She shakes his head.

"Pokémon," A smug smile comes on my face as I pop an Oreo in my mouth.

He grins, rolling his eyes. "Oh, you were one of those kids."

I widen my eyes. "What does that mean?"

He turns the channels some more. "Nothing, I was just joking."

"Pokémon was good," I comment. "Litten is my favourite. What's yours?"

He shoots me a look. "I never watched Pokémon, so I don't know the characters."

"Oh come on," I persist. "You don't have to watch the show to know the characters!"

I sip my milk, eating another cookie.

"Ugh," He huffs. "Fine, I like Pikachu."

"Oh," I finish my cup of milk, teasing him. "You're basic! Everyone says Pikachu!"

"Haha, fine," He sarcastically states. "I'm basic, I know. Sue me."

After a while of me being finished eating, he turns to ask me something.

"Do you care to go somewhere with me today?" He avoids my eye contact, his curls falling on his forehead.

"Sure," I look away from the screen to him. "Where are we going?"

"Its kind of embarrassing," He says. "Its my grave. They buried me, and they have my tombstone."

I slowly nod, the seriousness of the situation setting in. "I'll go," I softly smile. "Its not embarrassing, you know? Why would you think that?"

He shrugs. "I don't know, it's just," He tilts his head to the side, thinking of the right words. "My body is there, you know?"

I chuckle. "Its fine! I've seen you while you were literally dying, I think I can handle a grave."

***

I change into black jeans, a black and white striped sweater, and black converse.

I brush my hair and put it in a ponytail, exiting the house with Chase right at my side.

The walk there is quiet, but it's not an awkward tension like you think it would be. It's calming, and we take in the nice silence.

We begin to pass by a florist, and I stop in my tracks. "Hey, let's go in here," I point to the door. "I need some flowers for the living room!"

"Oh, okay," He smiles, following me inside.

There are hundreds of  flowers inside, all ranging from different species to different colors.

"What's your favourite color?" I ask him, examining some pink lilacs.

"Oh, uh," He thinks. "Probably...red, I guess."

"Gotcha!" I pick out a bouquet with five red roses in it. They're already dethorned, and all I have to do is pay.

I give the lady her money, and we walk out the shop. I smell of the roses, their sweet fragrance wearing off on me.

"These are pretty, aren't they?" I ask him, holding them out so he could see.

"I think they'll look nice in the apartment," He nods. "We have pretty nice taste."

I smile up at him.  "I agree."

***

After about ten minutes of walking, we stand at the entrance to the cemetery. A black picket fence encloses around the area, green grass contrasting with tombstones shining in the sunlight.

We walk through the graveyard, me taking note not to step on anyone. Flowers are on nearly every grave, decorating them with the love of family members.

We approach a fresh grave, the red dirt still bunched up on the top. No grass had decided to grow yet, and there was a bouquet of blue poppies resting on the ground in front of it. It was a medium sized stone; Chase's name was carved in it with elegant font.

"They're going to be so happy when you come back," I smile, crouching down eye level with it.

"If I come back," He sighs, a sudden sadness emerging in his eyes. "What if I can't, Stella?"

"Hey," I stand, ready to comfort him. "I'll get you back to normal. I promise."

"Are you sure?" He asks, an uneasy sound in his throat.

"I promise I'm going to try with all I've got!" I nod. "I need you back to normal because it's hard to hit a ghost!"

He laughs, his sadness being replaced. "You're mean to me."

"I know," I put the flowers on the grave. "Its how I show affection."

"You must love me, then," He cheekily grins. "And I thought those flowers were for home?"

"I told you not to act cheesy," I scold him. "And why would I put flowers in the living room? Muffin would just knock them over."

"You mean you brought them for me?" He asks, his voice getting giddy and excited.

"Of course I did!" I try to hit his arm, but my hand goes through him, nearly making me fall. "I even asked you your favourite color!"

"Awe!" He coos. "I knew it! You love me!"

My eyes widen. "H-Hey! Who said anything about love? All I did was bring you flowers!"

"That's exactly what someone who is in love would do!" He jumps.

"Oh hush," I feel my face getting red as I begin to walk away from the grave. "Let's go home."

I smile to myself as I hear him run up beside me.

A/N

I wonder how she's going to turn him human? That's one more chapter down! I'm excited! Don't forget to leave a little comment and vote!

-Hannah