I wasn't sure how much to reveal. I felt as though I owed it to Mrs. Castle to tell her of the monsters that killed her son, but I would only be dragging her and her family into a mess of pain and death. I couldn't put them through that. Little Mia who was still a crying infant, and young Tanner who could barely speak an understandable sentence. What would I say about Zach? If I revealed too much, every troll would be in danger, but too little could possible cause more death.

"I'm going to ask you a few 'yes or no' questions, Romera. Is that okay?" he asked me, and I nodded.

I wasn't prepared to talk, my throat too sore and my mind reeling with everything I had seen. I just couldn't.

"Okay, Romera, do you know about your father's disappearance?"

This took me by surprise, but it also gave me an excuse to not say anything about my father. If I played the clueless card regarding Zach, then they wouldn't ask too many questions.

I hastily shook my head, and the Sheriff moved on to the next question.

"Can you remember any of the people in the basement?"

No.

"Do you know how long you were in the basement?"

No.

"You were in there for a month, Romera. Do you know when and where you were taken?"

Yes.

I had been in there for a month? But how? He passed me the notepad with a pen, and I quickly jotted down the information.

Monday. After school. I got a note to meet who I thought was West at the back of the school, but it obviously wasn't.

Grey nodded solemnly, reading the message with a concentrated look on his face. He closed the notepad, standing up and patting my shoulder lightly.

"Okay, I think that will be all- for now. I hope you get well," he said softly, before leavinf and closing the door behind him.

For a moment, I was left on my own. I was both happy and upset about this. Happy, because I would finally have a time to be left on my own, free to do what I wanted without fear of punishment. But I was upset because I would be left with my own thoughts. And my thoughts were dangerous.

I had done something to Morgana, but I had no idea what it was. I was stronger than her, and the thought sent a flicker of pride through me. I was stronger than an ancient witch. However, this also made me more of a target of the other trolls.

But, how was I able to see and hear at the level I was currently able to? I remembered all the times I had been knocked unconcious. Could something have happened to me in these periods?

Westley came back to my thoughts, and my heart both ached and warmed. I had seen him. I had held him for a final time, felt his arms around me. I had said goodbye.

I glanced out the window, watching the sky descend into darkness. The stars were as bright as ever, and the moon was like a silver dish against the dark night. I had missed the sky. My only light in the basement had been the small, barred window and even then the sun had never reached my already-pale skin. Luckily for me, I still had my fast healing. However, Zach had only taken advantage of this. Even then, something had been boosting the healing process. Maybe it could be the same thing that helped my hearing and seeing?

Dr. Lake stuck her head in the door. "Try and get some rest, Romera. I'll see you in the morning."

My heart warmed for Jim's mum. I was glad he had been raised by such a caring person.  I turned back to the open window, feeling the cool breeze against my face. It was calming, and I closed my eyes, sighing in contentment. I was free. Still, Zach was still out there, as well as the constant threat and knowing that I was the heir. But, as long as I was there, I would be safe.

"Ro!" a voice hissed, and I turned my head sharply, heart racing in my chest.

No. No, he couldn't be back. However, latching onto the window sill was large blue fingers. Jim's head popped up and into view, and he easily leapt into the room.

Tears formed in my eyes as he stood on the other side of the room. Was he scared of me? My heart sank when I noticed tears well up in his eyes, too.

"Oh, Ro," he whispered, before slowly walking over to where I laid in the bed. "I'm so sorry."

I frowned at his apology. Why was he sorry? I held out my hand for him to grab it, but he still stayed back, reluctant. His hair was disheveled, and his eyes were red and bloodshot.

"I should have tried harder. I should have been able to save you," Jim cried softly. "I search day after day, questioned troll after troll, but none had seen you."

I stretched out and grabbed his hand, silencing him. He met my eyes, and I smiled gently.

"It-it wasn't your fault," I told him quietly, my voice hoarse and sore.

Jim didn't answer. Instead, he sat down next to me on the bed, still holding my hand. He kissed me gently, and I kissed him back, before he pulled away with a smile. I had missed his smile. His eyes were illuminated in the dark, and I caressed his face gently. He tucked a loose strand of my hair behind my ear, and kissed me once more.

"You need to get some sleep," he reminded me softly, and I shrugged.

"I'm healing fine," I reminded him, coughing after.

He sent me a doubtful look, and I knew he didn't believe me.

"I'm going to stay with you, but you need to sleep."

I nodded finally, giving in to his look. Still holding his hand, I used my other hand to drink the water and take the sleeping pills beside the bed. The pills would make sure I go a full sleep, so the nightmares wouldn't plague my night too badly. I fell asleep staring at Jim, a small smile on my face.

"She's lucky to have you, sir."

At the sound of voices, I opened my eyes. The first thing I noticed was the morning light seeping in through the windows which had been closed. Jim was gone, but that was obvious enough. Through the glass door, I saw an unfamiliar nurse talking to Merlin, who was dressed in his usual teaching outfit. The nurse was dark skinned, with curly brown hair and warm brown eyes.

"Yes, well, as soon as I found out my great-grand-daughter was on her own, I just had to help her," Merlin told the nurse, who nodded brightly.

The nurse looked in at me, and motioned for Merlin to come inside as soon as she realised that I was awake.

"Ah, Romera," he greeted, walking inside. "I'm glad to see you're recovering. You've caused quite a bit of panic around Trollmarket. I don't think I've ever seen the Trollhunter and Blinky so distressed."

"Do you know when I can leave?" I asked him softly, and he sent me a look.

"You were tortured for a month, Miss Caster," he reminded me sharply, before his eyes softened. "But they found a substance in your blood yesterday. Blinky examined it. They were boosting your healing with Changeling blood, Romera. There still may be effects for a few weeks, but they should wear off. I don't think it should be too much longer."

"That's good, I guess," I remarked, he nodded.

"You should have seen how long it took to get the Trollhunter out of here this morning," Merlin chuckled, "He refused to leave your side. It took a reprimanding from Blinky to get him to leave."

I cracked a smile. I knew things would never be the same, but hearing Merlin talk about the guys made me feel like I was home already.

"I can't wait until I get back," I said softly, and for the first time, Merlin gave me a soft smile, his eyes gentle.

"Neither can I, Romera. Neither can I."

Words: 2143
Hope you enjoyed the chapter. If you did, leave a vote! Anything is appreciated. xx