Part Four

Just as the second bell rang, signaling that students should be in class, I slipped into the gym. Coach Natt was taking attendance, so I hurried to join the group of waiting students.

As soon as he finished attendance he threw his clipboard down.

"Welcome to your first class of gym!" His words, although kind, held a gruff, harsh tone.

Coach Natt was a large, overweight man who, instead of doing sports himself, yelled at kids to. Today, his white singlet had been stained with an odd yellow liquid, and he had attempted to style his thick blonde hair back with gel.

He was the type of person you wouldn't expect to be a teacher, given that he hates teenagers.

"The girl's locker room is down the hall, the boys are opposite. Your gym clothes should have been brought today!"

The students quickly began dispersing, and I hurried to catch up with Claire. Mr. Caledonensis' words were ringing in my head. He had known. I wasn't sure how, but he had known.

"Claire!" I hissed gently, and she slowed down her fast pace.

She flashed a smile, "Hey, what's up?"

I paused in front of the locker room, folding my arms. "Last night I- I saw something. Mr. Caledonensis knew. He-he said I had to talk to you.'

Shock crossed her features, and I pushed open the door. We quickly changed into the gym uniform, Claire in silence as if wondering how she would tell me. The uniform was a simple white and red shirt, with shorts in a similar pattern.

"What exactly did you see?" she said carefully, and I gulped, recalling the memory.

"He said he was a troll." I snuck a glance at Claire to see she didn't look as surprised as I had been. "And I was saved, by the same thing. The same troll that spoke to me. This huge beast- another troll, attacked me."

Claire grimaced. "He just couldn't help himself."

"He?" I demanded, being done with not knowing, "Who is he?"

As we stood in place on the dodgeball field, Claire gestured forward.

"This isn't really the conversation-" Claire ducked to avoid being hit in the head. "- that you have in the middle of a dodgeball game."

I caught a ball that had been thrown at me, pegging it back and getting two kids out at once.

"Then, we go sit out!" I demanded, and she nodded, not meeting my eye.

We began to walk out to sit by the wall, but I loud shout made us freeze.

"Nunèz! Caster! Get back in the game!" Coach Natt roared, and as usual, I flinched.

It brought back bad memories. Memories I wasn't ready to face again.

Claire noticed my flinch and looked to me in confusion. "Are you okay? You know he wasn't speaking that-"

I interrupted her sharply. "I'm fine."

My patience was thin, but I knew I would have to apologise to all the people I was rude to. But, at the moment, I couldn't care less.

We walked back into the game, staying towards the back.

"I nearly died," I said softly, but my tone stayed sharp. "Explain."

"I-I," Claire stuttered, not knowing where to start, "the-the troll you saw was my boyfriend. He-"

"Your boyfriend? How could date something like that?"