Every one has a story

Emma

I didn't understand the mentality of twatwaffle. Like does this guy seriously think he can waltz in and girls will fall at his feet? So from what I saw in this school.

Plus, the way people treated Louise and Shay bugged me. I couldn't stand people like that. It wasn't right or fair.

After school, I walked home, and the minute I hit the door, Mom greeted me. "How was your first day?"

"Lame," I sighed.

"Let's go have cheesecake, and you can tell me all about it," she offered.

"Don't have to tell me twice," I said as we both went into the kitchen. Mom dished out a slice on a plate for me and a slice on a plate for her. As we ate, I told her what happened.

"Sounds like someone likes you," she said.

"No, sounds like he's trying to get into my pants," I countered.

"Emma, this is the same situation that happened at the last school," she assured me.

"Mom, it's the same situation, just different players. Let's see you have the popular boy who thinks he's God's gift to the world. His equal friends. Then you have people like Louise and Shay who labeled names because they are different. Does that sound different to you," I asked her?

"Emma, no matter where you go, you will always deal with people like that. It's how you learn to handle them and yourself around them that matters," she advised me.

"Why do I need to learn how to handle them? It's not like they matter to my life," I said with a look.

"Oh, Hunny they matter more than you think. Trust me, one day you will thank them," she said.

"Doubt it. Thanks for the cheesecake and talk. I will go to my room and work on my homework," I said to mom as Dad walked in.

"Hey, Em!"

"Hey, Dad. Bye dad," I said as I walked by him. He stopped me and pointed to his cheek. I rolled my eyes and gave him a quick peck on the cheek before going to my room.

I set my stuff down and got to work. Let's hope tomorrow is a better day than today was. Hopefully, Brett jumped off a bridge.

********
Brett

I grabbed my bag from my locker when Jason and Drake walked up. "Yo, Brett, want to hit the Pit later," Drake asked.

"Can't. I got a hot date," I said with a smirk.

"You dog. What happened to the new chick," Jason asked me.

"I'm working on it. Just need to make some adjustments, but I got to get ready for my date if you catch my drift." I winked.

"Go get em, dude," Drake cheered me on.

I closed my locker and went to my car. I climbed in and drove home. After I parked, I got out and went inside. I went into the kitchen and opened a cabinet door, pulling down some pill bottles, dividing up the pills then grabbed a bottled water.

I ran upstairs and opened a bedroom door.

"Brett!" Mom said, trying to sound behind her fragile voice. I walked over and handed her the pills, then opened the bottle of water. She took them and swallowed them like nothing.

"How are you feeling," I asked her.

"Today was a good day. The treatment seems to help," she said with a positive attitude.

"Did the doctor say how much longer you would need the treatments," I asked her with concerned.

"Brett, you know this is just prolonging the inevitable, right?"

"Don't say that, Mom. We got to think positive. The doctor said to have positive thoughts. That you could go in remission," I said, taking her hand.

"Oh baby, we both know I'm way too far along for remission," she smiled

"We can have hope, can't we?"

"Yes, we can still have hope," she smiled.

"I will get you something to eat, then we'll watch a movie," I said to her.

"Okay baby," she said as I got up and went downstairs. I made my mom something to eat. The doctor said to make sure she ate. I kept it light because if it's too heavy, she gets sick. I grabbed an ensure from the fridge and opened it, setting it on the tray. I placed a straw in it.

Then I carried it upstairs to her room. I set the tray down and helped her sit up before placing the plate across her lap. Then I popped in a movie. I sat down next to her on the bed.

"Brett, why don't you go out," she asked me sipping her ensure.

"I need not go out. Plus, I have a beautiful girl sitting next to me." I smiled, genuinely at her.

"Oh, I'm not beautiful. I don't have any hair," mom said, trying to hide her embarrassment.

"It doesn't matter. You're beautiful to me," I smiled at mom as she smiled back. She placed her hand on the side of my face as she kissed my cheek.

"So, how was school?"

"It was okay. Same ole, same ole," I shrugged.

"Did you meet a girl," she asked.

"No one in particular. Come on, Mom, who has time to date? The only date I need is you. I'm fine with that," I said.

"Brett." She gave me a look.

"Okay, there's this new girl, and I was an ass to her," I said hesitantly.

"Why?"

"Because I'm afraid if I show her who I am, she won't like me," I sighed.

"Brett, at some point, you will have to be yourself. I still don't understand why you pretended to be this playboy. You're not even like that," she questioned.

"It's easier than telling people, hey I can't hang out because my mom is dying. I don't need their pity."

"How do you know they would pity you?"

"Because that's the people they are. It's like all these people surround me and still alone."

"What about Jason and Drake," she asked.

"They don't know, and I know they would turn their backs on me. I learned a long time ago; people only care about appearance. So I put on this appearance for them. I give them what they want," I reasoned.

"Well, I think it's a bunch of bunk," she yawned. I knew it tired her. She gets more tired now.

I got off the bed and picked up the tray. I set it to the side then walked back over and crawled into bed with her. As she slept, I cuddled her. I wanted to spend as much time as I wanted with her before she left me.

I let the movie play as I lay next to her. I knew one day she'd go but for now; she was here and that's all that mattered at that moment.