Follow your heart

As his father left Proteus grasped Sinbad on the shoulder.

"Come on, this is going to be a heck of a party. Everyone is going to want to hear about the voyage." Proteus insisted.

At this Sinbad's grin dimmed.

"Fair winds, calm seas. Nothing much to tell." Sinbad shrugged off.

Proteus stared at Sinbad incredulously.

"What's the matter? No fun if you're actually invited?" Proteus chuckled.

Sinbad frowned, glancing at Odette out of the corner of his eye. He couldn't do that to Proteus. If he stayed he would know that he broke his promise and he couldn't bear to be around her knowing he couldn't have her.

"No its just,..uh...there's a hammock in Fiji with my name on it." Sinbad supplied instead with a strained grin.

Proteus smiled reluctantly, knowing that it was just an excuse. He reached up and clasped Sinbad's hand tightly.

"Good sailing Sinbad." Proteus muttered sincerely.

Sinbad nodded and began making his way down the dock, but turned back briefly.

"Get a haircut. You're gonna be king someday." Sinbad pointed out with a grin, getting Proteus to chuckle in amusement at the teasing.

Proteus watched Sinbad go down the dock, his gait not as chipper as he claimed to be. From behind he watched the crew say their goodbyes to Odette and Marina, the former looking more torn up about it. Spike brushed up against her leg and whimpered as Odette gave him one last scratch. Once the men had turned their backs Odette teared up and bolted back into the castle, her heart breaking with every step they took in the other direction. She knew this would happen but it didn't make the situation any less painful.  Proteus sighed, and looked to Marina, who had come to hold his arm. She gestured for him to go, already knowing what he wanted to do. Proteus nodded silently and left to find his father. Some things had to be discussed on behalf of his sister.

...

Proteus eventually found Odette at the top of the castle, staring out at the sea over the balcony railing.

"Just another uneventful day in Syracuse." Proteus mused, coming to stand beside her.

Odette quickly schooled her features and wiped away the stray tear.

"Yea." Odette agreed softly.

Proteus frowned thoughtfully.

"You know I stood here with a woman once. She would stare over the ocean and wish she could sail beyond the horizon. She saw such wonder." Proteus began.

Odette watched him curiously, unsure as to where he was going with this.

"And what happened to this woman?" Odette inquired.

"She got her chance. She sailed the seas. And she fell in love." Proteus answered softly.

Odette looked over at him in surprise.

"Proteus, what about my duties." Odette muttered but her brother quickly stopped her, holding onto her shoulders.

"Odette follow your heart. Mine is here in Syracuse. Yours...yours is sailing with the next tide." Proteus told her gently.

Odette frowned.

"Father would never agree to it." Odette protested again.

Proteus sighed at Odette's stubbornness.

"He gives his blessing. I will be fine here, and besides I won't be alone." Proteus nodded to Marina who made herself known by walking out from behind the pillar.

Odette gasped and looked up at her brother in shock. He smiled down at her softly as she started to well up once more. She threw herself at her brother and grasped him in a hug.

"I can't thank you enough." Odette sobbed happily.

Proteus held onto Odette tightly.

"Just promised me that you'll be back for the wedding. And make frequent visits." Proteus requested, mumbling into her hair.

Odette pulled away and nodded rapidly.

"Of course I will. You can't get rid of me that easily." Odette chuckled shakily.

Proteus grinned.

"Go on then, don't be late." Proteus prompted her.

Odette beamed, hugged Marina and dashed down the hall.