"Do tell, Señorita Caster, why haven't you completed the work?"

I ran away from my abusive father to a colony of trolls existed and learnt that I had magic.

"I just- ran out of time," I told him, knowing myself that the answer was shameful.

The class was silent for a moment, before the teacher let out a long breath. "Since this is you first time, no detention. As for the other two, detention for two weeks."

While the two boys let out a groan, I breathed out in relief. I had enough on my plate, and I could do definitely without Spanish homework or detention. Detention always went for an hour after school and was held by one of the worst teachers in the school, Mr. Hans. He didn't allow anything. No talking, no doing work, no looking around. If he caught you doing practically anything, he would hand out more detention. I don't think anyone in the school liked him, and I was glad he taught years younger than my own.

I glanced at the clock, rubbing my face in frustration when I realised we still had twenty minutes of class left. It seemed my luck had run out.

"Partner up," Señor instructed, "and ask your partner what they like about where they are from."

Immediately, the class located someone to pair up with, and I was left sitting alone. I didn't mind being alone, in fact I enjoyed it more than being in the company of some people, but I had nobody to complete the task with as there was an uneven amount of people.

I looked back at the front to see the teacher giving me another pointed look.

"Are you the last one?" he groaned, and I glared at him.

He was as unhappy as I was, because now we had to work together. I wasn't even sure why he ever became a teacher, because he hated almost everyone.

"Por qué yo?" Señor cursed, before sighing deeply. "Just sit there. I don't care."

Silently, I thanked him. I gazed out the window, sighing deeply. The school window gave a beautiful view of the oval, which led to the forest line. I enjoyed the Autumn season, where a mixture of green, red, orange and yellow filled the streets. Even in our small town of Baniar, the town was thriving. My eyes swept around the view, and I was glad that we were in the second story of the building. It was one of the only two-storey buildings, and the fact that I sat near the window was the only thing I enjoyed about Spanish.

My mind went to Westley, and my heart ached. I hadn't confronted him on what he had said before Jim had appeared, but I was terrified to do so. He liked me. If this had been confessed before I had met Jim, I would have been happy. I remembered the way my heart would flutter at even the site of West smiling, and the way he held my hand. And yet, after meeting Jim, those feelings had vanished.

And just like that, the bell rang it's loud and irritating sound. I immediately sprung up from my seat and gathered my things, ready to leave. My heart raced at even the thought of seeing Jim, which only fueled my excitement. I still had to get my things from my locker, and then I would get to go there. Home. Home, where Jim would be waiting for me, and we would go off on some adventure for hours until dinner. Home, where I belonged.

Señor dismissed the class impatiently, and I was among the first to exit the room. My locker was only down the stairs and along the hall, so I got there quickly. When I opened the locker, however, a note slowly swayed to the floor. Frowning slightly as I put away my things into my bag, I picked up the note and unfolded it.

Meet me behind the school.

What? It couldn't have been from Jim, as he wouldn't have been able to get into the school like that. Could it have been from West? The note had been scratched harshly with a black pen, and I didn't recognise the handwriting, but I slowly made my way to the back halls. The school had only the one main exit at the front of the school, but there was a mostly unused door at the back. Only a few kids went that way, so I wasn't surprised that the halls became empty around me. I was meaning to talk to him, despite how much I wasn't looking forward to it, but I was glad that I would have this chance to explain.