xix. MINHO.

porter robinson // sad machine.

HE RAN THROUGH THE FOYER and back to the main entrance within minutes. Gally felt his chest area begin to tighten from running so much and he panted. You couldn't stop for a breath if you had to because the suit and launcher he had to carry around weighed almost like a heavy book bag.

He had to do the same thing again, which was blend in with another group of soldiers and wait for the right moment to get rid of them. He circled around to catch up behind them, and he waited inside the car with another guard. There was enough room for him to sit inside, and one door was open for him for his leg to stick and dangle out.

From entering the underground parking lot, Gally guessed it took them a while to get inside the building. Gally went back and forth from rescuing the kids from the sub level and copping all of the serum. He wondered if Brenda was still waiting for him in the parking lot like he had told her to, and his heart stopped when he realized he had forgotten about it.

There was a loud smash from above. The three guards look over at the slightly tinted windows. They see a giant metal tank break through the window about twenty levels up at the WCKD building, its heavy weight crashing down into the pool.

Gally caught a glimpse of Thomas's dark hair and backing away from the broken window, slowly understanding what was about to happen. Oh hell no.

A few seconds was given away, and Gally could make out three boys dangerously jump out the window, screaming and dropping down from the building before finally landing in the water.

Gally watched the splashes through the mask and he clutched his launcher. For a moment, he felt relieved that they didn't miss the pool, knowing they were feet away from breaking every single bone in their body and killing them instantly. But the fear of the soldiers he was with catching them when they get out quickly overcame him.

When the guards all get out of the vehicles, so did Gally. He waits for them to hop out of the pool just to get a clear view of the extra person Thomas was with. It was him, Newt, and the boy named Minho that put him down with a spear before he was forced to pull the trigger. Thomas did it, he got him out.

"You three!" a guard shouted. "Don't move! Take it easy . . ."

Thomas, water dripping down from his hair and soaked suit, slowly reached down for his gun in the holster.

"Uh uh uh! Don't even think about it!" the guard said.

Gally walked up slowly, closer to the ledge, lifting his launcher.

"Get on your knees with your hands in the air- "

Gally spun, aiming at their chests. All three guards were down, twitching and groaning in pain as the electrocution paralyzed their bodies from torso to leg.

"You . . . son of a . . . bitch!" the guard spat out on the ground, yelling in agony. Gally sprints toward them, hopping off the ledge and ripping the helmet and mask off his head.

Thomas and Newt were confused and surprised at first, but after he unmasked himself they were relieved. Except for Minho, who was just confused and surprised.