Chapter 6

A week later, the guys went out to talk to a recording label about getting a contract. They hadn't been on a label since "Plastic Beach" and "The Fall" were released. They had some new music already recorded; now they were waiting for a producer.

Noodle decided not to go with them. She was feeling a little under the weather, so she stayed home. It gave her time to get rest and work on more wedding details. She was nearly done with the basics and getting ready to move on to bigger things.

A while after the guys left, she heard a knock at the door. "That can't be them," she thought to herself. "And no one comes to visit, other than Damon and Jamie." The knocking got louder and more violent the longer it took her to answer.

"One second," she shouted, getting impatient with whoever was desparate to get inside, as she finally got up from the couch. The knocking persisted until she opened the door. She found herself staring into a braod, muscular chest. It definitely wasn't Damon, Jamie, or any of her bandmates. From there, she looked up, horrified because she finally recognized who it was.

It was her ex-boyfriend, James.

"Where's that blue-haired freak?!" he shouted as he pushed the much smaller Noodle out of his way and bursted through the front door. He was a tall, imposing figure with bright red hair. He was an Irishman, and had the temper of one. By the look in his green eyes and the bat in his hand, he wasn't here for a friendly visit.

"Hey, who do you think you are? You can't just barge in here like this."

"Shut up!" He hit her with enough force to knock her into the wall. "I knew it was him the whole time. Where is he?"

"If you mean 2D, he's not here right now. What did he do, anyway?"

"You cheated on me with him the whole time, didn't you? He couldn't wait to get rid of me to give you that rock. I can't wait to get me hands on him!"

Noodle got up from her mess on the floor. "If anyone cheated in our relationship, it was you, you filthy pig! He was only doing what he thought was right. At least he treat me like a woman - unlike you." Despite James' size, Noodle wasn't afraid of him. She felt that he had no control over her, at least not anymore.

James dropped his bat, grabbed Noodle by her throat and pinned her against the wall. She could smell a strong odor of whiskey on his breath. He was a more violent drunk than Murdoc, and that was saying something. "Say one more word, and you're dead! Don't think I won't do it, either!"

She kicked her way out of his grasp and tried to run for help. James was blocking the doorway, so her only option was to call for help. Even her years of military training were no match for him. She felt completely defenseless.

He caught up to her before she could dial any number. A struggle ensued, until some familiar figures appeared in the doorway.

"2D! Murdoc! Russel!" she shouted with all the breath she could catch. "Please help!"

Murdoc and Russel began wrestling the belligerent man to the floor while 2D was ready to catch Noodle. When she managed to get free, she ran into 2D's arms, who ran behind the counter with her. She cried hard on his shoulder, as they heard the struggle coming to an end. While in hiding, 2D called for help on his cell phone.

Russel kept James restrained until the police came. 2D and Noodle stood up when nearly a dozen police officers rushed through the front door, and one questioned Noodle to learn more about the incident.

Once the smoke cleared and it was just the four band members again, 2D sat Noodle down on the couch as they crowded around her.

"What happened?" Russel asked. "He just bust up in here?"

She shook her head yes. "He was after 2D."

"Me? Why?"

"He thought I cheated on him with you." She then proceeded to tell them everything, from the beginning of the day's events, to the beginning of the abuse in their relationship. According to what she told them, he started out fine until January, when he started drinking more and turned violent. The abuse was limited to just words at first, but then it became physical. She believed that he had become that way because of his own affair.

"Why didn' you tell us this?" Murdoc asked.

"I... I was afraid. He threatened to kill me if I did."

"Baby Girl, you know I'd be here to protect you. We all are. Well, when you and 'D get married, you won't have to worry 'bout losers like him."

She started crying as 2D held her closer. Like he always would when she had a nightmare as a little girl, he began singing softly to her. The apartment was quiet for a while, as the shell-shocked Noodle was being nursed by her band, her family.

She eventually cried herself to sleep and 2D carried her off to bed. When he came back, Russel was slouched over on the couch and Murdoc found his whiskey. They were all still in disbelief at Noodle's condition.

2D sat down beside Russel, who made a low groaning noise.

"Why, 'D? Why her? Why didn' we know? I promised to take care of her, why did I fail?"

"It's not your fault, Russ," Murdoc answered. "How were we to know? She kept mum about it, so..."

"Please don' say it, Muds," 2D interrupted. "Whateva' yew were 'bout to say, don'. No one's to blame, especiallly not Noods."

"I wasn' 'bout to blame 'er, Dents." Murdoc's tone was growing violent and resentful. "Truth is, it's all me fault."

"What're ya sayin', Muds?" Russel asked.

"In orde' for the guy to pay off 'is debt to the game o' pool 'e lost to me, I... let 'im date Noodle. 'E... kind of paid me for it."

"You did WHAT?!" Russel jumped up in anger. "You sick freak, I'm gonna KILL you!!" The much larger Russel lunged at Murdoc, who grabbed a knife. "You sold Noodle to him, didn' you?"

"In a twisted sort of way, yes I did. Only so 'e could pay me off."

"He put her through misery and just tried to kill her. Can't you see that, Muds? You're the cause of all this!"

"DON' YOU THINK I HAVE? How could I see it comin'? I didn' even know 'e was like tha'. I had no idea all tha' was happ'nin'."

"Please," 2D weakly muttered, his head writhing in his hands. "It's ova now. 'E's gone, aand she don' have ta worry 'bout 'im."

"You're right, 'D," Russel answered, backing away. His anger had subsided listening to 2D. "Still, that don't make it right." He stormed off to his room while Murdoc went out the front door, to a pub or somewhere like that. 2D curled up on the couch with a pounding headache.

For a while, their apartment was falling apart.