Chapter 2

A few weeks later, on a Friday morning, 2D came into the apartment after going shopping. He didn't tell Russel what he was going to get, except that it was an "important item". When he came in, Murdoc had joined Russel in the living room watching TV. They turned around when their lead singer walked in.

"Yew wen' out, D?" Murdoc asked. He wasn't awake when he left.

"He went to get an 'important item'," Russel answered. "So, what did ya get?"

2D grinned sheepishly. "I'll tell yew lata'."

"C'mon, mate." Russel had sparked Murdoc's curiosity. "Y'gonna show us lata' anyway. What is it?"

"It's a surprise, I swear."

Suddenly, the older Murdoc and the much bigger Russel pulled their lanky friend over the couch and tackled him ferociously, looking for his "item". During the fiasco, a dark velvet box fell out of 2D's pants pocket onto the floor. Murdoc picked it up and opened it. Inside was a diamond ring, sparkling with a big center diamond and several smaller ones around it.

"What a rock!" Russel exclaimed. "Ya gonna have one happy girl. Who is she?"

"Really?" Murdoc was surprised. "Yew brough' a girl here and I didn' know?!"

2D stared at the ground, then back up and Murdoc and Russel. "Yew know 'er." Just then, Noodle came down the hall, getting ready to run some errands of her own. 2D hid the ring under him as fast as he could.

"What are you guys up to, now?" she asked jokingly.

"Mornin', Noods!" 2D greeted as naturally as he could. "Goin' out?"

"Eh, just to do this and that. Well, I'll be back soon. See you guys later!" When she left, he pulled the ring from under him.

"Tha' was a close one," he mumbled quietly.

Murdoc and Russel looked at each other curiously, then back at 2D.

"D?" Russel asked finally, breaking their silence, "is that ring... for Noodle?"

2D opened the box and looked at the ring. He then closed it and looked up. "Yes," he finally answered. "I was gonna wait until the time was righ', but now that yew've guessed it, I wan' ta ask Noodle ta marry me."

Russel gasped and Murdoc nearly fell off the couch. They couldn't believe what they just heard. Their pretty-but-vacant lead singer was in love - with their guitarist.

"Eh, Earth to 2D, come in, 2D!" Murdoc remarked, knocking 2D on his head. "Where'd tha' come from? You... and Noods... MARRIED!"

"What're ya thinkin', D?" Russel blatantly asked. "She's HOW much younger than you, now?! 12, 13 years maybe?"

"i know, there's a small age gap ther'. But I've been thinkin' 'bout it fer a while now. When James dumped 'er the way 'e did, I was crushed too. I don' like it when she gets 'urt."

"Well, ev'ryone gets 'urt," Murdoc stated, "but married? That's a change righ' 'ere."

"I'm not jus' doin' it just 'cause she got 'urt. I love 'er. I haven' felt this way since Paula. She's so grown up now too. We bof' need some'un, an' she's me... ev'rything."

"How're ya gonna do it?" Russel asked.

"I wan' ta do it soon, maybe tomorra' nigh'. I'm thinkin' dinner and a riva' cruise. what else do ya fink?" Murdoc laughed. "Who do ya think ya askin'? Ya think I know somefin' 'bout romance?"

"I didn' like the idea at first," Russel joined in, "but now I kinda like it. Just follow ya heart, D."

"Fanks, fella. You guys rock."

"Yeah, I know we do," Murdoc joked.

Immediately, 2D went to work planning his date. The flowers had to be her favorite purple. The chef at the restaurant had to cook her favorite food. The river boat had to be the finest on the River Thames. There was one missing detail: he needed her to say yes to it first.

Noodle didn't come home until later in the afternoon. By then, all the details were in order. Murdoc and Russel were helping 2D get ready to ask her when she came in.

"Hallo!" she greeted cheerfully. No one was in the room. "Murdoc? Russel? 2D? Anyone here?"

"Noods!" Murdoc shouted from around the corner. "We're in 'ere." He and Russel came around the corner, but 2D didn't follow them.

"Where's 2D?" she asked. When Murdoc realized he didn't follow, he went around the corner and grabbed his ear.

Noodle giggled at their silliness. "What's going on?"

"2D here has something to ask you." He and Russel left and went around the corner, peeking at 2D.

"What is it, 2D?" she asked.

"Do yew... do yew wan' ta go out tomorra' nigh', just the two of us?"

"So, a date?"

"Yeah, fink of it that way."

She stood and had to think of it for a second. "Okay, sounds fun! Where will we be going?"

"Leave it ta me, luv. It'll be a surprise. Just be ready by 7."

"Okie dokie!" she answered in a child-like manner before she trotted off to her room. Murdoc and Russel rushed out and surrounded 2D.

"Well, mate." Murdoc patted him on the back. "You got a date to get ready for!"

"Don' worry 'bout Baby Girl. We'll make sure she's nice and ready."

"Fanks, fellas."