Chapter Three | Chance

Location: Southern Coast

Jye patiently leaned against the bars of the cell. Waiting.

Hours had passed since he'd been dropped into the cell and left. He'd made no move to pick the lock. The night wore thin. It would be dawn soon, and he needed to be gone by then. Before the Auction.

But not without her. If she's not dead already.

He took a deep breath, listening to the violent crash of the storm outside.

She'd be here soon. She had to be. Jye was counting on it.

As if on cue, voices rose over the cracking thunder. Someone shouted from the hallway, coming closer. Jye dropped back into the shadowy corner of the cell and wrapped his jacket tighter around himself. The image of an injured, broken prisoner. Hawk-like eyes glinted in the darkness beneath his hood. Jye stopped breathing, his entire body tightening into an eerie stillness. Footsteps approached. The shouting grew louder. Zigo swore and kicked the door open with his heavy boot.

"I did you a favor back there!" Zigo growled, dragging her into the room.

Two more Scouts followed, trying desperately to hold onto her kicking and clawing limbs. All four of them were soaked from the storm and cooly furious. Jye couldn't see her face as she fought wildly against the three men, but her long, wet hair whipped around in a distinctive metallic flash. Reflecting her bloody face and the bars of the looming cell.

"I'll do you a favor..." she roared.

With a rapid twist, she tore her arm free. Throwing an elbow backward, she caught one of the Scouts in the nose with a sickening crack. Her free hand dug into a fold of wet clothes and pulled out a short-curved knife. Slicing it around, she caught the other Scout across the cheek.

Zigo caught her wrist. She let out an impressive string of curses. Her foot kicked solidly into the smaller Scout's already bloody face. He went flying and slammed into the far wall. The third Scout quickly filled the void. A long gash was etched down his face where her knife had nearly taken his eye. He looked like he planned to get even.

"Get back," Zigo barked at his men.

He caught her other wrist and yanked her arms high. His grip on her wrists tightened until she cried out and the knife dropped.

"Stop! Or I'll break it!" he shouted, lifting her into the air by the vise grip around her wrists. She continued to struggle. He lifted higher until she was level with his eyes, "I said stop!"

She gave him a wide, bloody grin. Then she slammed her forehead into his. Zigo stumbled and barely managed to keep himself upright. To top it off, she pursed her lips and spit blood into his face. Jye coughed to cover his laugh.

She has spirit, I'll give her that, Jye grinned into the dark. Zigo hasn't had a real fight with one of us in a long time. Lucky him.

Zigo roared and pinned her to the wall with his considerable weight. His free hand roamed her body, yanking an impressive number of knives from pockets throughout her wet clothing.

A fire burned in her amber eyes. Zigo let her drop. Her body hit the cement with a heavy smack. Before she could recover, a kick to the ribs propelled her into the nearest cell. Zigo slammed the door and stepped out of reach.

"If you won't talk, I'll go back to that shithole where I found you. I bet there's someone there who'll motivate you," he growled.

"Burn it to ash," she spat blood onto the floor.