Day 4 - Rift

"Day four!" Corbin gasped and shot up. Elvyne was slumped against the wall next to him and jerked awake. She looked at him in fear and shrunk away.

"You alright?" Corbin asked, hardly hearing himself over the pounding in his head. Elvyne nodded after a moment. "Sorry. Just skittish I guess now."

Corbin looked across the room and saw Miranda collapsed on the ground. "Oh, no, no, no," he said and ran to her. He shook her and her eyes flicked open. Relief swelled in Corbin's chest. "You're alive!"

Miranda looked about, confused, then scrambled to her feet. "Iris!" she gasped. Corbin looked at the wardrobe, who's door was swung open.

"She's gone," Miranda said, covering her face. Corbin pulled her hands down. "It's not your fault."

"I was holding the door closed when she got quiet," Miranda sobbed. "I didn't think much of it. I was glad she wasn't singing anymore. Then she pushed open the door. She fought me for a minute then was able to pin me down. She told me that she was going to find us."

"And do what?" Corbin asked.

"She didn't say. Oh my gosh, I hate it here!"

Corbin sat next to her and hugged her. "We all do. Remember, fluffy Granny."

Miranda laughed through tears. "Fluffy Granny." She took a deep breath and stood up. "But we need to find Iris."

"And everyone else," Elvyne said. "Where are they? Did Solomon get caught?"

Corbin looked around the room and grinned. "Solomon is in the corner and Becca is under the table." He crouched next to Solomon and roused him awake. His eyes opened and stared at Corbin for a second. Then his massive fist collided with Corbin's chin. Corbin groaned and fell on the ground. "I'm not Granny!" he said hoarsely. The punch felt like it had rattled his brain.

"I know," Solomon said. "I am merely pissed at you."

"For what?!"

"I am on Day 4. Because of you."

"Well, I'm sorry! I'm trying to get everyone out alive. And now Iris is gone so if Granny doesn't get us, she probably will."

The rage on Solomon's face melted to concern. "She is gone?" he said slowly.

"Yep."

Solomon whirled around to face Miranda. She shrunk away. "You let her get away?" he said, face grim.

"It was an accident, I swear," Miranda said quietly. "She caught me by surprise."

"You should have-"

"Hey, lay off man," Corbin said. Solomon still looked at Miranda with loathing. Corbin sighed. "This is pointless. Let's get back to the attic." There was stirring from underneath the table. Becca sat up and hit her head on the table.

"Oh, gosh," she said and rolled out. She staggered to her feet and looked at the scene. "Is everything alright?" she asked.

"Everything's fine," Corbin said. "Right, Solomon?"

"Yeah. Right."

Becca sat on the bed, rubbing the side of her head. "So, do we have a plan now? Did you all find any more keys?"

"No. Not yet," Corbin admitted. "Elvyne and I went to explore the attic but we... fell through the floor."

Becca stared at him between her fingers. "You fell... through the floor?"

"Right through, in front of the locked door."

Becca shook her head. "Let's not do that again. And is Flint... was that Flint?"