Day 5 - A Trap and a Song

Corbin ran back upstairs just as Solomon ran out of the bedroom. "She is coming," he said. The two of them sprinted to the room. Becca was already under the bed. She reached out to pull the boys under.

Granny meandered in with a bloody grin. "Where are you?" she asked the seemingly empty room. She looked about then pulled a small bear trap from her gown. She fiddled with it for a second then dropped it. She turned out and walked down the stairs.

Corbin pulled himself out and closed the door. "It didn't fit," he reported. Becca and Solomon sighed. "Great," Becca said. "Now what?"

"I think I know where it goes," Corbin said. "Remember the Locked Room Miranda told us about?"

"The cabinet!" Solomon said. He held out his hand to Corbin.

"What?" Corbin said, confused.

"Key," Solomon said, like it was the most obvious answer in the world. "You get to distract Granny this time. Becca and I will unlock it."

Corbin took a step back, gripping the key protectively. "No. I found it, I get to see what it unlocks. We'll all just keep an eye out for Granny."

"Who died and put you in charge?" Solomon said. Becca gasped at his choice of words. Solomon tried to retract. "I mean, not like that. What I meant was you are not in charge. I get to make some choices too."

"Admit it," Becca said, "Corbin is a better leader than you."

Under his dark skin, Corbin could tell Solomon was flushed. "Fine. Fine!" Solomon said, throwing his arms down in defeat. "We will follow Corbin. He can kill us all off, one by one. Just like Flint. Just like Miranda and Elvyne-"

He hadn't finished talking before Corbin was on top of him. Corbin slammed him onto the ground. Solomon's head smacked the ground with a horrific thud.

"Take it back!" Corbin screamed, not caring to keep his voice down. "You take it back!"

"Stop it!" Becca said, trying to pull Corbin off. It was no use. She was too small am deathly Corbin was too angry. 

Corbin's fist collided with Solomon's nose and there was a crackle. Solomon howled and abandoned trying to get Corbin off and his hands went straight for his gushing nose. Corbin took advantage of this and pushed Solomon's huge hands into his mouth. Solomon gagged.

"Guys, Granny!" Becca said. She opened the wardrobe door. "Get under the bed or something!"

With a roar, Solomon grabbed Corbin's wrist and twisted. Corbin didn't even notice. 

Suddenly, black and white glass went flying and Corbin's eyes rolled back into his head. He slumped over to the floor. Becca stood above him with the remnants of the vase in her hand. She seemed shocked at what she had done.

There were footsteps and the door began to rattle. Solomon rolled under the bed. Becca followed him. She looked at Corbin's still body and gasped. She had just pulled him under as Granny threw open the door. She stared around the room. She stepped forward and walked on top of the pile of shattered glass. She smiled and picked up the pieces. She slipped them into her gown and left the room.

Becca crawled out and closed the door. Corbin was coming to now. He groaned and rubbed his head. Solomon got up and glared at him from above, blood running freely from his nose.  Corbin opened his eyes then scrambled to his feet. Becca stood between them. "We're done here. Okay?" she said, looking wearily from boy to boy. Corbin and Solomon glared at each other for a moment before nodding. "Fine," Corbin said. "Becca's in charge."

Becca's jaw dropped. "I didn't mean-"

"Clearly you're the only one here that is capable of forming a thought without also wanting to kick the snot out of another person," Corbin said. He handed her the key. "Keep it safe."