06 | SPIN THE BOTTLE

AS ANNE, DIANA, RUBY, AND SAMANTHA trudged towards the school, they waved towards Clara and Jane, who were standing by the river

AS ANNE, DIANA, RUBY, AND SAMANTHA trudged towards the school, they waved towards Clara and Jane, who were standing by the river. Smiling, the girls greeted them as they set their glasses of milk in the river.

Suddenly, three boys appeared, lifting up the girls' skirts as they were bent over. The girls shrieked as the boys shouted, "Bloomies! Knickers!"

Giggling, Samantha turned to face the boys, meeting the eyes of Billy, who gladly winked in her direction. Samantha should have been mad - she really should have.

But, all she felt was humor.

"Hey, Samantha," Billy called, not with smirk, but with a small smile that formed on his lips.

Samantha hesitated, then replied, "H-Hi, Billy,"

"Keep your hands off!" Anne shouted, causing the group of friends to turn to her in confusion.

"Woah," Billy spoke.

"You mustn't mind them, Anne," Diana chimed in, turning to her. "They're just boys being boys. They love to torment our lives out."

"I do mind," Anne spoke, shaking her head. "I mind a great deal."

"A skirt is not an invitation!" Anne shouted, causing the boys to break out in a fit of laughter.

Turning to Clara, Samantha shrugged - she liked Anne, she really did, but sometimes...she just needed to loosen up.

"Shall we go inside?" Samantha asked.

Humming in response, Samantha led Clara, Jane, and Ruby inside whilst Diana stayed to talk to Anne - flustered beyond belief.

As the girls stepped inside the schoolhouse, they noticed Prissy talking to Mr. Phillips. Smirking to one another, they giggled and took their seats.

Before class was about to start, Josie Pye grinned as she handed a note to Billy Andrews across the room. As Billy opened the note, it took him only a moment before turning to Josie and smiling in agreement.

Sighing, Samantha cursed under her breath. The spin the bottle game was on. And so help her, if Billy spun the bottle and it landed on her, things were going to get messy.

───────────────

As the school bell chimed, the students gathered their belongings. Some excited the schoolhouse, but the rest made their way to the back room, where they would play the game.