04 | THE GOLDEN TRUTH

Start from the beginning

Biting her lip, Samantha folded her hands over her skirts as she looked up at Diana, "I made a huge mistake."

Diana grasped Samantha's hands in hers as she spoke, "You can tell me."

"The Andrews family has the impression that I am fond of their son [Billy] because I may have gotten nervousandspitoutwordsIdidn'tmeanattheparty," Samantha admitted.

"Sorry, slow down," Diana spoke. "What?"

Samantha sighed, shaking her head, "I talked with the Andrews at the town gathering, and I accidentally made it seem like I was fond of Billy."

"Oh," Diana said, her eyes widening. "That means..."

"That they want us to be together, exactly," Samantha explained.

"And you don't..."

"Really like Billy, of course, I'm with Gilbert."

"But nobody..."

"Knows I'm with Gilbert."

"And if the girls found out that you were with Gilbert..."

"I would be dead meat." Samantha finished.

"Oh, no, Samantha!" Diana exclaimed, gasping in shock. "What have you done?"

"I don't know!" Samantha spoke, placing a hand on her forehead stressfully. "I made a mistake."

After a few deep breaths, Diana sighed, "Hey, hey, it's okay. We can figure this out."

"How?" Samantha asked desperately.

"I think, for now, you should act casually and play along with your lie," Diana spoke.

"What?" Samantha exclaimed. "Why?"

"Just listen," Diana ordered, causing Samantha to close her mouth. "I think you should continue with this...thing that you started. Then, when Gilbert gets back, you can explain to him why you're together."

"And how would that help Gilbert and I's relationship?" Samantha asked. "I'd still be with Billy."

"That's the part I'm not so sure of," said Diana. "We'll just have to wait and see. So, in the mean time, act natural."

"Great advice, Diana," Samantha spoke sarcastically.

"Hey, I'm only trying to help," said Diana, raising her hands up in defeat. "You brought this on yourself."

"Yeah," Samantha sighed. "I know."

"After all, your lie wasn't the only one that came to Avonlea," Diana explained, causing Samantha to raise an eyebrow.

"Oh, yeah?"

"Yes," Diana muttered, looking straight into Samantha's eyes. "There was never any gold in Avonlea."

"What?" Samantha sputtered, her eyes growing wide. "That means..."

"My family lost a great portion of their money," Diana informed. "Father is hurt, but Mother has gone completely insane."

───────────────

When Diana said that her mother was insane, Samantha had only thought she was being dramatic. But, as the girls sat down for dinner, Samantha had realized that insane was an understatement.

"Minnie May stop chewing so noisily," Mrs. Barry scolded the small girl. "You sound like an animal."

Shifting her eyes to Diana, Mrs. Barry spoke, "Don't stare when someone is scolding their child. It's extremely rude."

Samantha took a sip of her tea, making sure to not make eye contact with the woman as she did so.

"I see the finishing is going well," Mr. Barry spoke, flipping a page of his newspaper. "At this rate they'll be married to fishmongers before we know it."

The rest of the dinner was silent - none of the girls daring to mention a word in fear of being scolded.

When the three were excused, they were ordered to get ready for bed immediately by Mrs. Barry. The housewife had taken control of her children and made sure they were to learn their mandatory lessons in their own house.

The woman became feared by her daughters, along with Samantha as well. For Samantha, her lessons were just as tough as thee, yet her instructor hadn't been so harsh.

As Samantha crawled into bed, she wondered if Mrs. Barry was going to make things more horrid than they were in London.

Before Samantha realized she was asleep, she was shaken awoke by a dark figure holding a lantern in her grasp.

"Come quick!" Diana spoke, causing Samantha to rub her eyes and follow her to another room.

Flustered beyond belief, Diana shrieked, "Look what Minnie May has done!"

"Oh my," Samantha spoke as she noticed a wet spot on the bed.

This not only meant utter discipline, but harsh punishment on the girls. Mrs. Barry was most likely going to react badly.

"How could you do such a thing?!" Diana snapped at the little girl. "Do you have any control? You'll be fortunate if you can get a fishmonger to marry you!"

"Diana!" Mrs. Barry called, causing the three girls to turn and face the doorway.

Minnie May stood - tears pouring out of her eyes as she looked up at her mother. As Mrs. Barry shifted her gaze, she gasped slightly, "You wet the bed."

Minnie May sniffled, "How come no one loves each other anymore?"

Diana's lips began to tremble as tears prickled at the ends of her eyes. The two girls were truly hurt my their mothers actions, which brought sorrow to Samantha.

Even though she had hardened up, she knew exactly how the girls were feeling. Setting down her candle, the mother looked at her two daughters and spoke, "Im sorry."

"I'm so sorry," Mrs. Barry repeated, pulling the girls into a hug as they sobbed.

After a moment, the mother left to talk to her husband, leaving Samantha alone with Minnie May and Diana.

"Hey," Samantha soothed, replacing their mother and pulling the two girls in for a hug. "It'll be alright."

"It'll be alright,"