"Very well." Luke turned to Kalder. "Not sure if we'll return tonight or in the morning. Set a watch, then set up camp. Solo can stay aboard the shuttle."

The Jedi Knights sighed in unison.

Kalder nodded and settled his hands on his hips. "Come on, everyone. You heard Master Skywalker. Wei'ahtt and Tandolleau, take first watch. Set up a perimeter at the edge of the trees. Grab your rifles. We don't want to be caught with our airlocks open."

The young Jedi Master closed his eyes. Then he examined the clearing carefully.

The large evergreen trees soared high above them, even taller than their stouter cousins on Khalkha. An earthy scent permeated the pungent aroma. Birds hooted high above in the forest canopy while ground animals broke twigs and rustled leaves on the forest floor.

Kalder continued his instructions. "Pilar, your turn to cook. Ben, you've got clean up. Everyone else, break out the tents and bedrolls—and stay alert."

The Jedi Knights scurried into the shuttle to extract their gear while Luke placed his hand on Kalder's arm. "If you have a problem, use the commlink. Village is only five clicks away."

"Yes, Master Luke." Kalder nodded. "We should be all right."

Luke leaned in close to Kalder's ear and whispered, "Pull the coaxium cylinders from the hyperdrive, and keep an eye on Ben. I think he's up to something."

"When isn't he?"

The lanterns on the trees glowed in the twilight while the stars twinkled in the dusky heavens

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

The lanterns on the trees glowed in the twilight while the stars twinkled in the dusky heavens. The slight breeze wafted the aroma of the Ewok barbecue to the forest floor a click away. 

Naluma leaned against the trunk of a giant monarch, about one third up the spiral staircase. Sweat streamed down her face while she held her hand against her lower back. She huffed and puffed from the exertion of climbing about a hundred stairs. 

Luke whistled at the group of Ewoks ahead of them. They motioned for the humans to continue. The Jedi Master shook his head and pointed to his wife who now sat on the steps, leaning her head against the trunk of the tree.

One of the Ewoks with a white racing stripe down his front scurried down the steps to the party. He caressed the baby bump and smoothed back Naluma's sweaty hair from her face.

He opened his canteen, but instead of giving her to drink, he trickled the water onto her head. He waved his staff and chanted in Ewokese.

Then he motioned for her to stay seated as he rejoined the escort. After a few quick instructions, half of the escort continued up the staircase while the others guarded the Jedi Masters.

Naluma said, "This is harder than I remember."

Luke sat next to his wife and handed her his canteen.

"Thank you." She took a swig.

"You're carrying extra weight and haven't been working out for months."

She pulled the canteen away from her mouth and glared at him. "Did you just say I'm fat?"

Luke laughed at her, his merry eyes twinkling. "Pregnant, merely pregnant, as displayed by this wonderful mood swing." He nestled his head against her shoulder. "Oh, Luma, what am I going to do with you?"

"I'd say you've done enough," she said while pointing to her belly.

He stood up. He offered his hand to her, helping her to stand. At a slower pace, they ascended the staircase once again.

After fifty more steps, Naluma collapsed once more. Huffing, she gasped, "I can't." She moved her hand to her stomach and winced. "Oh!"

"Are you okay?" Luke helped her to sit on the steps.

She took a few deep breaths. "Not sure. That was not fun."

"Contraction?"

She shook her head and she winced again. "No. Not the right area."

"Is he kicking again?"

"Anakin's been kicking like a Tauntaun ever since we landed. He's sensitive to the concentrated Force in these trees."

Luke placed his hand on her abdomen as she moaned again. "That wasn't a kick."

"I think he's turning." She clenched her jaw as another pain passed through. 

He looked around them, half-way up, about fifty meters to the ground and fifty meters to the catwalk above them. "Come on." He knelt down and lifted her in his arms.

"Luke, it's too far. I'll be fine in a few minutes."

He shook his head and kissed her forehead. "Don't need you going into labor right now."

His pace up the seemingly endless staircase slowed but remained steady.

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

Did you know ...

• Babies usually turn head-down a week before delivery. She's not in labor ... yet.

• What we refer to as Endor is actually the "Forest Moon of Endor," the largest of nine moons of a gas giant named "Endor" that has since disappeared in a galactic cataclysm.

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

Tell me what you think ...

• The Lambda Shuttle is my favorite ship in Star Wars. What's yours?