Chapter 2

Friday night, 5 days after his parents told him about his Selection, Jacen Schreave sat down next to his parents on the set for the Illea Capital Report, informally known as the Report. Next to him sat the announcer, 20-something year old Barton Fadaye, who, while only a few years older than Jacen, had already cemented himself in Illea's history as the grandson of the famed announcer from when Jacen's grandparents were teenagers. Gavril Fadaye retired after Queen Eadlyn made her engagement announcement. 

Jacen leaned towards his parents, but, sensing his mother's anxious energy, immediately chose to lean the other way. The director gave a countdown, and then the studio lit up and Queen Eadlyn began the show. She began with talking about budget cuts, and the progress of certain things in the school system, before turning it over to Jacen. Jacen stood up, brushed off his suit and walked over to center stage. A bowl with 35 names in it was brought over, and he explained what he was doing before he began. 

"People of Illea, it is with great pride, honor, and excitement, that I am announcing the start of my Selection. For may generations, Illea's royalty have married citizens from around Illea, and have found true love that lasts a lifetime. I am overjoyed for the opportunity to find my soulmate, like my parents, grandparents, great-grandparents, and so on before me." Jacen took a deep breath, before continuing to read the teleprompter in front of him. "Normally, the Crown invites 35 young ladies, one from each of Illea's 35 illustrious provinces. However, in order to make my Selection more personal, and to give me a better chance to get to know the Selected, I will only be inviting 16 girls to the palace. The bowl before me holds the names of all 35 provinces, and I will be drawing 16 to choose the 16 provinces that will be represented." He motioned to the bowlin front of him. "Without further adieu, I give you the names of the 16 provinces." He turned to the bowl, and without looking pulled out 16. He then turned to face the camera again, and began reading off the names.

"Angeles, Allens, Calgary, Carolina, Kent, Yukon, Hudson, Midston, Honduragua, Sota, Fennley, Columbia, Panama, Ottaro, Belcourt, and lastly, Clermont." Jacen said. "There you have it folks. All girls ages 17-20 in all these provinces will receive instructions on how to apply. In 3 weeks, I will announce the names of all of the lovely young ladies who will get to compete for my hand. Thank you Illea, and good night."