-Paper Cranes

The worst way to miss someone is to be sitting right beside them but knowing you can't have them and will never see them again.

Memories started to visit me again, remembering the last time I saw your face. It was the day that changed everything.

***

Working only as an executive in a company, they all say that I have 'a not so promising future'. But nothing matters to me because we are happy.

It's our 5th anniversary and I wanted to give you something special.

But it has been past 6 in the afternoon, you're an hour late. As I wandered for a while in the coffee shop, I brought the paper cranes that I made with me and placed it inside a jar. I've been busy making this for you these past few months, even during working hours. I knew how you love paper cranes because you kept believing with wishes. So I decided to make it for you even if I know it's cheap and such a pity that I can't afford to buy you something expensive.

"Wishes do come true." , That's what you're always telling me, and so before I give you this I made a wish.

"I always dream of someone whom I could share my heart with forever, and my dreams came true the day I have met her. Now that I found her, all I wish for her is to be happy and to fulfill her heart's desire together with me."

I whisper those words and realize you're still not here. That's new, you don't like being late and making someone wait for you.

I'm still waiting for you to come in the coffee shop, sitting comfortably, watching outside the window as the sun sets its beautiful rays. I got too distracted by the sunset that I haven't even notice that someone was in front of me in the table. As I turn around, and there I saw you, the person I've been waiting for; the only person that makes my heart beat like there's no more tomorrow.

"Happy 5th Anniversary", I sad as I flash you a smile and gave you my gift. But I didn't see you smile a bit, as you accepted my gift and look through it sadly like you're in deep thought.

"You okay?" I asked, that made you come back at your conscience.

"Yes." You replied timidly. But I knew you weren't fine.

"Is there something bothering you?" I questioned making sure if you're really okay. A moment of silence past by until you sighed deeply and speak again. Words that I wished you didn't say.

"I'm leaving" You said, breaking the silence between us. "I'm going to Paris and live there for good. And I'm not coming back."

And I'm not coming back.

The words still echo in my mind. Making me sit there and do nothing.

You continue your words, trying not to look at me. "I can't see any future for the both of us if we continue this relationship. "

Listening to your words keeps on breaking me. But I stayed sitting there, looking at you, hoping that all you are saying was all a joke.

You finally faced me, and finally met your eyes as you were about to say those words.

"So I think it's best if we go on our own ways. I'm sorry." A tear escaped my eyes as you gazed at me. I couldn't find any words to say. My mind was too preoccupied of what's happening.

You stood up and left me without a word. Left my heart shattered into pieces.

***

It has been years, but it seems like it only happened yesterday. After all we've been through, is it still not enough? For you to leave me ruined and devastated. I just thought we're happy, but maybe I was wrong about it. 

I was brought back to reality when I realized I'm the only one left in the company. Undecidedly, I push myself up and headed my way out of my office.

All I did was work hard day and night, trying to forget about the past, slogging my body and mind just to make something out of myself. Finally, with all these hard work and with the help of my friends, I have succeeded to set up my own company.

As I was driving on the rainy street on my way home, I can't help but to reminisce about the girl I love. I can't forget about you. Oh, scratch that, I never forget about you. What if we meet again? What possibly can happen?

I was busy looking back at time when an elderly couple crossing the street caught my attention. How sweet, they're sharing one umbrella while walking to somewhere else. Even though they have umbrella, they're still drench from the rain.

Until I realize something, they are your parents.

I slowly drove the car, looking at the old couple. I am going to show them that I'm not the same man anymore that I have changed and finally succeed in life. To let them know that I'm the right man for you.

They continue walking without realizing that I'm following them. I decided to get off the car and walk towards them.

But before I knew it we were entering a place I wasn't expecting to be in, a cemetery.

There I saw you, the only girl I love, the beautiful photograph of you smiling sweetly as ever at me from your... tombstone.

Then I've notice one thing, that one thing that I made especially for you, the paper cranes I made, still kept in a jar beside your tomb.

Your parents saw me. So I walk over.

"How? Please explain to me what happened.. please." I said confusedly unto them.

"Remember the time she told you she's leaving for France?" your mother said while looking at me. Of course, I remember. How could I forget about that? It was our 5th Anniversary when you left me broken.

"It wasn't true, she didn't leave at all." Your mother was calm and silent as she was explaining it to me. 

If you didn't really leave for France, then how come you left me that day? I waited as your mother continues to tell the truth.

"She was ill. She had cancer." I was startled. You were sick and had cancer and yet you didn't tell me. 

I heard your mother sighed before continuing.

"She believed that you will succeed in life someday, but she doesn't want her illness to be your obstacle." She looked at me with sorrow.

"Therefore she chose to leave you." I felt a tear shed from my eye. 

After all those years, I thought you really left, but I thought wrong. You were sick but all you cared about was me.

"She wanted us to put the paper cranes beside her, because if the day comes when fate brings you again to her, she said that you can take some of the paper cranes back with you." The tears I was holding back awhile ago had fallen. I didn't say a word unto them. I just wept and remember the times when we're still together.

As your parents left me, I sat beside your grave, hoping you would know that I still feel the same.

"Wishes do come true."

As I read the quote they've inscribed in your tombstone, I let out a sad smile. That was definitely your favorite quote.

I stood up, but right before I left, I took the paper cranes with me staring at it.

"I guess not all wishes do come true."