Chapter Seventeen

Start from the beginning

Her eyebrows knotted together in thought.

What was going on?

Than the drums sounded and her breath was caught in her throat. The echoes brought chills down her spine and fear into her heart. Those drums were the last beats of the prisoners heart beats of the incoming death. Her eyes filled with sadness. People will die this day for entertainment due to the hollering of the crowd. It was disgusting that people found human suffering enjoyable.

The voices outside grew louder and more rowdy.

"What's going on? Bring him here!" Nottingham's gruff voice echoed in her dungeon.

Everything went silent.

"Oh, the turncoat. Did you succeed?"

"Well... I found his layer but... he was already dead."

Will?

That's Will's voice!

Her heart fluttered in her chest, as Evemina marveled over the fact that her Will was here. After what felt so long, a smile appeared on Mina's face stretching muscles that had not been used in awhile.

But what did the Sheriff mean by turncoat?

Had her best friend and love turn against Sherwood and the men?

No, Will would never do such a thing.

"Are you sure? You saw Hood's body?"

Evemina's eyes widened at those words... Robin is dead?!

"No... I-I saw a gr-grave."

Evemina sighed at Will's voice, Will... you should have said yes. A grave means nothing to Nottingham.

"We found this on him." A different voice chimed in.

Silence followed after, making the maiden itching to know what is happening.

"String him up with the others!"

No!

Her weak body tried to get up off the floor, but there was no strength in her tired limbs.

Will!

Evemina pressed her hands together in a prayer with her eyes squeezed shut, begging the heavens above to spare his life.

The crowd roared loudly at the announcement, making her stomach stir uncomfortably. She wished she was out there... to see what was going on so she could help. But if things were going to end badly... She was also glad she was crippled enough for her not being able to make it outside.

"My Lord, it appears there's no more room. I'm afraid that I respectfully decline!" Will's voice boomed, making the maiden roll her eyes.

Will... sometimes you need to keep your mouth shut.

The drums beats rolled like a mighty roar of thunder. It was punishment time, but it was not their right to deliver these orders of death. That right was to the storms of lightning.

Only God can do the punishing and men cannot play God.

Silence.

The drums had stopped... where was the fake lightning going to strike?

Screams echoed in her dark chamber.

The maiden cringed at the sound and squeezed her eyes shut as if she was outside witnessing the hanging and she could not stand to look.