Chapter 13- Broken

♥ Valerie Xanders ♥

Hunter and I were happily playing tag when I noticed that my mom was eavesdropping on my dad. She had her ear planted on my dad's door, carefully listening.

"Why aren't you moving?" You're supposed to be chasing me." Hunter approached me and pouted.

I tugged on his shirt and pointed at mom. She cupped a hand over her mouth as if she heard something shocking or mind-boggling behind the door. After a few moments, we heard sobbing.

"Chto proiskhodit?" 'What's happening?' I asked Hunter. Hunter just shrugged as he dragged us both to where mom was.

She was crying.

Before we could reach her, she entered dad's room but forgot to lock the door. When we reached the door, we heard screaming. Mom and dad were fighting.

Worried, I pushed the door open. From a six year old's point of view, what I saw was indescribable. Mom slapped dad. Hard.

The next thing I know, I was already outside the house, running. I didn't care if it was raining. All I wanted to do was get away.

"Val!" Mom called out. But I didn't stop.

As I sprinted to cross the street, a large container van was driving its way down the slope. Down to me. I stopped and covered my eyes, blinded from the van's headlights. Before I knew it, a strong force pushed me put of the van's way.

The next thing I know, I was lying on the other side of the highway, face down

Suddenly, I heard the van door open and I heard a few footsteps coming towards us. I got up and turned around to see what had happened.

I saw my mom in front of the van, laying there, lifeless.

RIIING!

I woke up panting, the sun's rays illuminating my room. I felt something warm run down my left cheek and wiped it.

Not now.

I remembered that today was the day.

I climbed out of my bed, took a shower, brushed my teeth, combed my hair and opened my closet to find something I could wear.

"You done yet?" Hunter magically appeared at my doorstep.

"It's a common courtesy to knock, you know. What if I was only in my underwear?"

"So what? I'm your brother." He said as he sat down the couch. "Hurry up, Riri. You wouldn't want to be late, do you?"

I gave my back to him and scanned my wardrobe. We stayed in my room for about twenty minutes until I spoke up.

"Get out, Hunt. I'm gonna change." 

"Is this gonna take forever again?" He mocked as he got out and closed the door.

I texted Sawyer.

I won't be able to go to school today :( Something came up. 

-V

I made my way down dressed in a white cage back eyelet dress while a black, slim blazer was draped over my forearm.

We got inside the car and drove off.

I stared at my phone, waiting for anyone to text or call me. Not only was I bored, I was also distraught.

"Are you waiting for someone?" Hunter asked, nudging me and wiggling his eyebrows.