Chapter 18: Kimberley

Start from the beginning

                “Okay Kim lets go.”  We both get out of the car and walk up to the doors.  Jason puts his thumb on the thumb pad.  It scans it making sure we weren’t trespassers and opens the steel doors.  They replaced the glass doors that were there when Ronnie and I first came.  The lasers are still going but we only put them on at night. During the day if any intruders come along we pretty much have enough people to defend the lodge.

                Once the two steel doors open we walk in.  People scurry about, stand and talk or sit and talk to one another.  I take a deep breath and go to one of the elevators.  Jason follows.  I push the up arrow button.  The doors open and we step in.  I push the floor two button and the doors close again.  The elevator shoots up but I’ve been on it so many times now it doesn’t bother me. 

                The doors open again and I go to the right of the hall way and walk straight to my room.  I hear Jason’s footsteps follow me.  I take out the pass key to my room and slide it for the door to read.  It recognizes the key and opens the door.  Ronnie’s room is the one directly next to mine. We asked Logan if we could have it and he said yes.  A door separates them but we always keep it unlocked.

                I throw my backpack on the ground and take my shoes off at the door.  Jason walks in as well.  “Did I say you could come in?”  I ask turning around smiling.  He perks up and eyebrow.  “Oh, I’m sorry are we just going to ignore the golden rule?  That we allow each other into the others room whenever we want?”  I look at him in weird way.

                “We never made up that rule.”

                “Really well, I’m making it up now.”  He says smiling and nodding his head.  He drops his backpack and takes off his shoes like I did and flops down on my messy bed.  “So, what are you doing now?”  He asks taking out his phone checking his texts.

                I search through my closet and find one of my training outfits.  It has a black short sleeved shirt with black gloves with the finger tips cut off and the thumb hole.  It also has tan cargo pants.  I go into the bathroom and change, leaving my necklace on.  I slip on some socks and Put my hair up in a single braid down my back. 

                I walk out seeing Jason still lying on my bed.  I grab my combat boots that go up to my knees.  I lace the fronts up and stand.  I take my four knives off the counter and put two in one boot and two in the other. 

                “Are you coming Jason or should I leave you here?”  I say opening the door. 

                “Yep,” he grunts getting up.  “Sorry, tired.”  I nod understanding. I might have dozed off in detention after my homework was done.  Hard to keep focus in that place when you have nothing to do. 

                We walk down to the elevator again but pass it and walk straight down the next hallway until we get to the end.  There’s a door and when you open it is another door leading to the training room. 

                I walk up to the railing and look down.  People, kids and teens were either learning survival technics, how to surprise attack or, my favorite, battle each other with training swords, knives, and bow and arrows, axes, or any other weapons.  But only training weapons, not real ones.