Chapter Twelve - The Battle

As dawn broke, the Red Queen and her army of Red Knights began their beckoning journey to the Battlefield. Knowing that one side would fall, though only one member of this crowd wished it was the side he was travelling with. Ilosovic Stayne rode upon his steed silently beside his Queen. He heard the loud clanking of the Red Knights marching boldly behind them. No-one spoke.

 When the two armies arrived, they stood proudly, and still, upon the Battlefield, which looked like a chessboard with its black and white tiled terrain. Opposite him, Iracebeth and her army, stood the elegant Mirana, the Hatter driven to insanity, the army, and Marmoreal’s champion.

 Alice Kingsleigh dismounted the Bandersnatch and stood beside the Hatter. Stayne looked her in the eye, not even showing the slightest of fear. Her hands clutching the Vorpal sword and a silver shield, dressed in shining armour, Alice was no longer a terrified little girl, but a strong young woman.

 Stayne hopped off his horse and helped Iracebeth out of her carriage. He looked over at the White Queen’s army, and wondered; could I change? For the Queen. For Alice. With his history of torture, of bloodshed and cruelty. With a past such as his, would be able to change to a side with such little to do with violence?

 As the Queens met at the centre of the Battlefield, they greeted each other. Naturally, Mirana’s was the more welcoming of the two. ‘Hello Iracebeth.’

‘Hello. Mirana.’

 McTwisp, the rabbit, announced; ‘On this the Frabjous Day, Queens, both Red and White, shall send forth their champions to do battle on their behalf!’

‘Oh Racie, we don’t have to fight!’ She said gently, fluttering her eye lashes.

‘I know what you’re doing. You think you can blink those pretty little eyes, and I’ll melt, just like mummy and daddy did.’ Iracebeth scowled.

‘Please…’ Mirana pleaded, holding her hand out to the unattractive, big-headed woman.

‘NO!’ The Red Queen exclaimed. ‘It is my crown! I am the eldest!’ And at that moment, she turned quickly. ‘JABBERWOCKY!’ The two Queens backed away, returning to their armies.

 The Red Knights parted as smoke and fog tumbled down from the hill behind them, as the monstrous Jabberwocky awoke. All eyes were upon the Jabberwocky as it rose from the position it had slept in for many years.

 The creature roared loudly, displaying his hideous fangs and lizard-like tongue. It launched itself towards the battlefield, ripping trees from their roots as the claws on the edge of its wings tore them from the ground, making its way to meet his enemy.

 ‘Where’s your champion, sister?’ Iracebeth turned and taunted braggingly.

‘Here.’ Alice said stepping forward. There was no waver in her voice, and Stayne could hear how strong she felt. Determined to fight, and win. The Red Queen looked the girl up and down.

 ‘Hello, Um.’ She hissed. Angered that she had been fooled, mislead. The White Queen’s champion marched forwards toward the creature. Stayne and Iracebeth stepped back. He was terrified for her. He was not scared of the Jabberwocky, as he had seen it so many times before, but he was terrified of what the beast could do to Alice, would do to Alice.

 Stayne looked at Alice. Her eyes were occupied by the gigantic creature stood before her. He could see her lips moving, but he could not hear or make out what she was saying. ‘So, my old foe. We meet on the Battlefield once again!’ Stayne heard the Jabberwocky boom.

 Again, Stayne could not hear what Alice had said, but the creature hissed; ‘Not you, insignificant barer! My ancient enemy; the Vorpal one.’ And with that, Alice sliced off its tongue. Stayne saw Mirana wretch and gag at the sight, but he held it in.

 The Jabberwocky snapped its jaws at the young woman as she dashed underneath it. She stabbed at the creature again, before being thrown towards the ruins by the dragon-like creature’s tail. Stayne wanted to do something, help Alice. But could he blow his cover now? Should he? With that, as the Jabberwocky closed in on Alice, again displaying its fangs as she tried to reach for her sword, he whipped his head round.

 The Hatter was prodding its tail with his sword. ‘The Hatter’s interfering! OFF WITH HIS HEAD!’ Iracebeth chanted. With that, the two armies ran at each other. Stayne drew his sword and strutted over to the Hatter, who had his sword in hand. The two men marched towards each other, no sign of fear in either of their faces.

 Stayne could not help but think of how he felt when discovering Alice in the Hatter’s chambers. The anger and jealousy he felt. This memory drove him to battle the Hatter, so he could claim the ‘‘prize’’ that was rightfully his.

 Their blades collided several times, echoing that distinctive clinking sound. The Hatter swung his sword valiantly at the tall Knave. A swing that, if Stayne had not ducked, would’ve inflicted serious damage. ‘Are you going to toughen up and join us, or hide like a coward behind her army?’ The Hatter whispered, in a dark Scottish accent. ‘It’s now, or never, Knave of Hearts.’

 Stayne did not expect such words from this mad-man. For a moment, they just glared into each other’s eyes. The Hatter’s were a bright green, although, one looked a little off colour and caused him to look as though he was dazed.

 The two tore their eyes away as the distant roar of the Jabberwocky echoed across the Battlefield. Stayne saw Alice run through the ruins and onto the staircase. He and the Hatter turned to look at each other again, before Stayne nodded, and they found a Red Knight of their own to battle.

 The Knight looked at Stayne oddly. Somebody of his own side, so he thought, was attacking him. Something was clearly not right. However, this was no time for questions. The two battled, and fought, and wove their weapons at each other, until Iracebeth hissed with horror. ‘STAYNE! HOW DARE YOU BETRAY US NOW!’

 With one last jab of his sword, he knocked the Red Knight to the floor. ‘Oh Iracebeth, I betrayed you such a long time ago.’ He panted. But before the Red Queen could come out with her usual ‘‘OFF WITH HIS HEAD’’ the Battlefield had fallen silent. All eyes focused on one point.

 The Jabberwocky had thrown Alice up in the air. With her sword raised, gravity pulled her back down. ‘Off with your head!’ She said triumphantly. The Vorpal sword came down, and plunged into the back of the creature’s neck. Decapitating it, as they watch its head tumble down the steps, and its body fall into the abyss.