Storm

The rain hammered against the glass like it was meant to destroy it.

I sit calmly and quietly against the window in my night dress as the last of my candle flickers.

Ma'ma always said to never allow a storm to frighten me, I watched the full moon brighten the night sky and became drawn to the droplets falling from my window pane .

I heard shuffling outside my chamber door followed by a small amount of light seeping through the crack in the door.

Curiously in silence I tip toe and open the large oak door just a small amount, enough to see who it could be.

Lady Jane is talking with a guard, I cannot make out what it is she is saying and with that the guard moves sharply wrapping his large hand around her neck.

"Im warning you, stay out!" he throws her to the ground and takes the torch with him leaving her in darkness.

I open my door fully and lock eyes with Lady Jane acknowledging her face covered in tears, she stands and scuttles away.

I barely slept that night.

"Knock knock! Rise and shine!" in comes Mary bouncy and full of life.

I pull the thick rough covers over my head and she rips them off me.

"I have news!, The king is joining the queen for breakfast and it is your turn to prepare the room!" she squealed with excitement and claps her hands before pulling out my dress from the large wardrobe in front of the bed.

I embrace her energy and join her to prepare.

The rain had not given up attempting to wash away the palace and we had to add extra candle light to brighten the dining room.

The queens favourite flowers were placed as a centre piece, the table was full of the finest polished silver and the food was presented perfectly.

One trick my mother taught me, if it is all in line and everything matches, you cannot go wrong.

The Queen entered and we curtsied.

"The King! The King!" echoed up the staircase.

The queen took her seat and the ladies stood still.

Lady Jane stood in a dark corner looking exhausted, I facially expressed my sympathy towards her only to have her glare at me and turn her head.

Heavy footsteps approached the dining room and the king entered walking fiercely towards the table.

We ladies curtsied but it seemed to have gone unnoticed.

I take the glass jug of cold water over to the table and begin to pour into the queens glass.

"Katherine! There is not much more I can do, I have sent out word about the princesses betrothal but I am still yet to hear back, patience my dear, do not concern yourself with such things!... now... eat!" His tone in his voice was enough to discipline God himself.

I placed the jug on the table and the king caught my eye, I immediately look down and resume my position awaiting for an instruction while they ate.

I could see in the corner of my eye that the king was yet to position his eyes elsewhere.

I could feel my cheeks heating up and my heart started to race against my breathing.

"I may tend to the gardens today... these ladies have enough to do and I should like to choose my own fruit for dinner." he sits back into his chair with a smirk.

"Henry its is pouring out, the servants will take care of it"

"A bit of rain never hurt anyone Katherine, you should try it sometime!"

"If that is what his majesty wishes, should I accompany you?" the queen politely responded.

"No!...I should like some time for myself!

"very well" I could see the queens pain in her face, rumours were flying around the palace that she was yet to give birth to a son.

I could see her fear in betraying him starting to become more and more obvious.