Chapter 1.1: The Scarlet Demon

"Where much is given, much is expected,"

or so the sect told me.

I am Hanabi, the Scarlet Flower of the Scarlet Sect, and this is my story.

————

Many years ago, the village of Iga was happily united. However, everything changed when jealousy arose. The clan was then divided into the Scarlet and Shadow sect — one specializing in hidden techniques of the forest plants and another of the shadows.  Much bloodshed became the result, so the two agreed to send their best ninjas to duel every ten years. The winner would unite the tree. 

Unfortunately, nineteen years ago, the Shadow winner was corrupted by power. He killed the Scarlet Sect's leader, and betrayal was an unforgivable sin. Thus, the two sects then united to hunt down the Shadow traitor. They trained their children tirelessly for the job. 

Hanabi was one of those children. 

————

Poor young Hanabi was always alone. She was an only child. Her parents died from a mission to hunt down the Shadow traitor, leaving her every parents' good wish for their child and a shuriken choker to be worn always. Her only family, which was her grandfather Harunobu, was one of the most influential leaders of the Scarlet Sect. Thus, he barely had time for just any child. If Hanabi wanted attention, she would have to earn it. Afterall, a politician's image was important.

"Grandfather! I have mastered the Scar---"

The young child was cut off. Before she could even showcase the skill she practiced months for, she was screamed at.

"Hanabi, you worthless child! Train harder! Your mother mastered this a earlier than you. With these skills, you're a shame to your family," scorned grandfather Harunobu. His brows pointed downwards in irritation.

Thus, young Hanabi trained herself to become a worthy ninja -- perhaps, the best the Scarlet Sect has yet to offer. For the next years, she struggled daily with little rest, hoping to earn her grandfather's approval. 

————

School wasn't great for her either. Hanabi also had great difficulty relating to the other kids of her age. She often became the topic of many rumors.

"Hey, guys! Look at that monster!"

"She thinks she's all great. Her grandfather's just pulling strings for her."

"The representative of the Scarlet Sect? She must be out of her mind to think she'd be picked."

"I'm sure the teachers just don't want to be fired."

Well, expected, wasn't it? Due to her victories, the child also became very prideful and subsequently, scorned by her classmates. Moreover, unlike the rest in Iga, she lost her childhood innocence much earlier, being taught and forced to practice torture methods at a young age. Her extra training also cost her the time spent to be with friends, and they soon left her. Thus, during her short breaks, she often looked at the kids playing in the fields from the windows of her garden. Her eyes glowed with resentment. 

To cope with the drama around her, her heart hardened to stone. She cried no more. All she wanted was glory and revenge. Who needed useless people in their lives?

In her mind, however, she always wondered: 

"What happened to make you believe people are good?"

————

Just as she thought her life to be monochromatic forever, the ninja gods intervened. Tomorrow, she was to meet the boy who'd change her life: Hayabusa.