Chapter 9

At around 6:15, we entered Chicago. I sat up as straight as I could, and looked at my familiar surroundings, taking it all in. Astrid and Mia should have reached home by now, since we had planned to leave immediately after our lunch yesterday, and go by train.

              But I doubt they would have left, they must have alerted the police, and stayed there, searching for me.

              Within fifteen minutes, we reached Wallmart, and pulled into the parking lot. After parking, he turned to me. "You remember what I said?" I nodded forlornly.

              He got out of the car and came to my side as I got out too. As we walked into Wallmart, he held the door open for me, huh, looks like chivalry in this age is not quite as dead as I had thought.

              Keeping my head low, I tried to be inconspicuous as I headed towards the section that held what I wanted. I walked quickly and quietly, acting as casual as I could. I could hear him following me, and then he shuffled his feat awkwardly when we reached the sanitary section. I picked up two packets of tampons, and then headed to the counters. On the way, I passed by the kids play room, and peeked in.

              I smiled at Patricia, the caretaker, and she smiled back. I felt a bit sad as I remembered all the times I had picked up Mia over here while Astrid was shopping, and as I scanned my eyes through the room, my eyes widened, and I gasped, shocked at my luck.

              Mia was right there playing with the balls.

              Besides me, the kidnapper gripped my arm and frowned as he followed my gaze.

              I smiled warmly, and tears pricked my eyes, as I looked at her longingly. My heart clenched, and involuntarily my hands shot up and I took a small step forward when Mia stumbled a little.

              He sighed, and then walked to Patricia, and said something to her. She smiled widely, and nodded, walking away. I watched curiously as she picked up Mia and I was shocked as she walked to me. Mia caught my eyes and squealed happily. She stretched her arms out and bent forward towards me.

              I looked at my kidnapper, and he smiled and just shrugged, a warm spark in his eyes. My jaw dropped before a big grin graced my face, and I ran to Mia, immediately taking her into my arms and cooing to her.

              The kidnapper walked to me, and said, "You don't have much time, and no funny business. Just 5 minutes, and then we have to go pay for your...stuff, and get out of here.", he said, but there was a slight smile on his face as he watched Mia's antiques and my laughter.

              I nodded, and smiled at him, and my heart fluttered as I realised that he really was compassionate. He had done this for me, for my happiness.

              For the first time after many years when I'd gotten to skip school because of this crimson horror, I was glad for my periods, if it weren't for the pains... Crap! I totally forgot my pills! I had to get them for the pain!

              My head shot up, and I looked at my kidnapper, "I forgot my pills!"

              "What pills?"

              "I need to take pills, or the pain becomes too much. I almost definately need it every time."

              I shot him a pleading look, as I bounced Mia in my arms.

              His eyes widened in realisation, and he shook his head voilently. "No ways am I going to leave you alone with her!"

              "Please? They are right there!", I pointed in the direction of the pills, which I could see, but weren't 'right there'. We were close to the cash counter, which was quite far from the medicine section.