Chapter 17

The next day, I go out for a walk. It's early, not even light yet. But I like it.

I wander the streets, unfamiliar unless Blink and I walked them together. Rain patters softly onto my shoulders and the ground around me. A few people are out at this hour, so I think nothing of it when I hear footsteps.

"Hey sweetie." A boy calls out. I shiver.

Oscar.

Another pair of feet come from the opposite direction, and I hear Morris call out.

"We've noticed you gettin' pretty cozy wit dat street rat wit one eye." He chuckles. I look up, angry.

"And why would that be any of your business? Maybe me and Blink enjoy each other's company. Just- leave me alone. Please-"

They close in on me, and I know it's hopeless. The two of them can easily fight me. A hand clamps down on my shoulder and I feel myself being pulled into an alley. I try to wriggle free, but it's just not happening for me. I try screaming out, but Morris slaps me in the face, hard. My face stings, and I clench my jaw.

"Now now Morris, let's give the little lady a chance to explain herself." Oscar smirks. I glare at him. He pins me against a wall and kisses me roughly. He's disgusting.

His kiss is desperate. And he smells dreadful. I squirm as he pulls away.

"Plenty more where that came from. Ditch the one eyed piece of scum and come back to my apartment.." Oscar smiles. He has one hand over my shoulder on the wall, not holding me at all.

Never!" I scream and spat at him.

"You're going to regret that young lady." Morris laughs cruelly. He pulls out a pair of brass knuckles that, unfortunately I have seen them use before. It's awful to watch, but even worse to endure.

Oscar and Morris each have a pair.

They smirk and punch me in the stomach. I scream out in pain since I haven't fully recovered from Jack. Morris slaps my face and I fall to the ground. The Delanceys repeatedly punch me everywhere. I scream and cry, which only makes them punch me harder. Soon I lay in a puddle of my own blood. 'I'm going to die' I tell myself.

"P-please." I croak.

Both boys ignore me. Eventually, I see a figure run down the alley. It's a boy, but the face is unrecognizable. I know it's a newsie, but who, I don't know.

The newsie punches Oscar and he falls to the ground. Morris comes around behind him and the newsie knocks him out too.

"Can youse walk?" He asks me gently.

"N-n-no." I stutter, tears coming again.

"Shh. It's okay. Theys ain't gonna hurt you anymore. I's gonna protect you." The boy sits down. He holds me carefully to him, trying not to hurt me.

After a while, he picks me up and carries me bridal style in the direction of the lodge. I still can't tell who it is.

As we approach the newsboy lodge, the door flies open. It's Mush, Race, Skittery, and Specs.

"Jack! Where ya been!" Race calls.

Wait- Jack!? I look up at Jack, and he smiles down at me. Jack Kelly saved me from the Delancey brothers!? Why?

"Why would you save me after all I've done to you?" I whisper.

"First of all, I don't hate anyone enough to have them tortured by the Delanceys, and second of all, it was my fault you hated me. I was a jerk." He whispers back.

Mush and Skittery run over to Jack.

"Why are you carryin' Blink's goil?" Mush questions.

"Wha'd he do ta ya?" Skittery says, examining my battered face and glaring at Jack.

"N-nothin, Skittery. But thanks foa the concern." I smile a weak smile. Jack carries me inside and the boys follow him with suspicious glances.

The other boys are in another room. Gambling, no doubt. Specs slips away to get Blink. Jack places me in his bunk and examines my visible wounds. My left pant leg was soaked with blood, so Jack rolls it up. There is a giant gash running down my leg. I wince in pain.

Blink runs in.

"Abby!" He runs over to where I lay. Kneeling next to the bed, he cups one side of my face in his hand.

"Who did this to you?" He demands, looking at Jack with suspicion and anger. I struggle before managing to sit up on the bed.

"D-Delancey bruddas." I start crying. I probably look like an idiot crying in front of six boys, but I don't even care. Blink crawls into the bed and sits next to me, hugging me close. I cry out in pain, and he quickly lets go.

"Sorry" he mumbles. Jack strokes my hair for a moment before he and all the boys except for Blink leave. He kisses my forehead and leaves me to rest.

A/N okay so you guys were kinda mad that I made Jack so mean, so now he isn't! But now like, do you ship Abby with Blink or Jack??? Hmmmm...