Chapter 2

That. Tears. It.

My cheeks feel burning hot, and I watch my father shake Jack's hand. Jack smiles at me, with his crazed maniac smile, which only frustrates me more. He's just happy to finally be out of here, ditching his friends and family.

I look over at Davey's family, all three siblings crying. Jerk, coward- these are all things I want to call him. I want to punch him -I've spent enough time on the streets to beat up people pretty well- but I don't. At least not now, in front of everyone. If that coward dares to come back, I will, but not now.

Instead, I jump.

I walk to the end of the carridge, and land on my feet a few feet down.

My feet hit the ground hard, and I shudder from the impact. I stumble a few steps, and fall. I didn't realize how high up that damn carridge really was.

As I brace myself to hit hard pavement, a hand extends and pulls me up. The person is strong- and I jerk upward, and wind up in their arms. Well, not in his arms, but his hand is still holding mine, and his hand is on my back, holding me upright.

It's the boy. The blonde boy with an eyepatch. His one eye is ice blue, and his face is close to mine.

"I'm sorry," I blush and pull away from him.

"I saw ya jump off that carridge- ya runnin' away?" He smirks, and seems amused. Don't worry Newsie, I can talk in a New York accent too.

"Yea, was plannin' on it." I blush "I mean, I have befoa. Don't look so surprised- old man neva knows." Now it's my turn to smirk as he raises his eyebrow.

"Abby Roosevelt," I spit in my hand and extend it.

"Kid Blink" he spits in his hand and we shake. "Come on, Lil' Rebel," he smiles and grabs my wrist and leads my out of the crowd.