Chapter 12

"I- I don't know" My tears come faster now. He seemed harsh, almost angry with hurt when I found him. Now he seems to soften, as if just realizing I really do love him.

"Shh- it's okay. I'm sorry." He pulls me into his lap and hugs me. My rib cage hurts from running and hugging probably isn't the best idea but I don't care. I close my eyes and wrap my arms around him.

"Why did you-?" I ask after a few minutes.

"It's complicated"

"Are you gonna tell me?"

"After I got back last night, Jack asked to talk to me alone. He took me into another room and told me that you would never come back. You don't love me, and rich girls can do so much better than me. Then he got up and left. I realized he was right. I couldn't even think of coming to you in the morning and you not wanting me anymore. So I thought if I ran away, and you came after me, I would know you really loved me. I wasn't expecting you to." He finishes quietly.

"That was stupid." I say. I turn so I an still on his lap, but facing him. I stare into his eye, and wrap my legs around his back. I lean in and kiss him. He holds my back so I'm closer to his chest, and we kiss for a long time.

I completely forget about the boys in the square. I'm very grateful they don't show up now.