Chapter Twenty-Seven - Unwelcome Guest

Start from the beginning

The stranger spun around, pointing a raised arrow at him. Sebastian saw red as the demon within nearly smashed right through the cage. Vincent Shaw!

Vincent's eyes widened briefly at the sight of his demonic form. Then he gave an evil smirk. "So the rumors are true."

Sebastian eyed the arrow before him with barely contained rage. He could smell demon blood on the wolf and knew the bastard had killed his guards. Shaking with fury he stalked around the other man, assessing him.

The wolf aimed his bow with an ease that only came with centuries of use. He had to be at least six foot three and built like an ox, but Sebastian knew the wolf would be fast despite his size. He had seen proof of that at the auction.

Vincent was also a Hunter, which meant he made a living killing other supernatural beings. However, it was not the wolf's profession that set his teeth on edge, it was the expression on his face. Vincent appeared close to madness. Dark circles framed bloodshot eyes and weeks of beard growth covered his pale complexion.

"What are you doing here?" Sebastian demanded as he continued to prowl around his prey.

Nicholas took a step back. He knew better than to try and get between Sebastian and a kill. "Master, we need information from this wolf."

That's why Nicholas hadn't killed the prick yet. Need to stay in control.

Vincent followed Sebastian's movements calmly before snarling, "I've come for the she-elf. Give her to me now."

The hell he would ever let this madman take Victoria from him! He would kill this bastard with pleasure. Reining in his fury he demanded, "What do you want with her?"

Vincent raised his brows. "Don't you know?" Laughing sadistically he grinned. "And here I'd thought you done this on purpose. The Ascended were always two steps behind."

Don't kill him yet. Need information. "She is not your mate. What would a wolf and the Legion want with a halfling?"

"As if I would tell you."

"You will one way or another."

Vincent's grin only widened. "You have no idea of what you keep. I am not the only one who seeks the halfling."

"We are aware of Gabriel," he growled menacingly.

Vincent cocked his head to the side. "But what you don't know is what the Mad One will do to get her." His black eyes wavered before he focused once more.

What the hell was wrong with the wolf? Sebastian could scent something foul about him, in his blood. Whatever it was it weakened the Hunter which meant Sebastian could use it to his advantage.

"I will take what's mine now," the wolf snapped.

Mine? His control snapped.

"She's mine!" Sebastian bellowed, lunging towards the other man.

The Hunter released his arrow without hesitation. Sebastian didn't even bother to avoid it, ignoring it completely as it sank into his left shoulder. He tore at the wolf, his claws flashing through the air.

Vincent just dodged out of the way. Dropping his bow he snarled and drew his sword. Sebastian hesitated, expecting the wolf to turn. Did Vincent truly believe he could take on a berserker in that form? Has he gone completely mad?

"What's the matter, Cursed One? " Vincent taunted, misreading his hesitation. "You can't possibly think she would want to stay with you, a cursed berserker who can't even control his own demon? Pathetic."