14 - The Rebel Contact

Start from the beginning

     Yes. Quite sorry.

     He is being a good partner in my little game, so I reward him by moving back between his legs. I tug the panels of my dress away with my fingertips, nice and slowly. "What about when you almost ate me the first day we met? On the field?"

     This time the growl he gives out is not in my head, and it echoes throughout the throne room. I go still, my hands automatically release my dress, and the sleeves are loose enough that they fall from my shoulders. The fabric gathers at my waist. Kazaxon looks angry, yet all I can do is stand there and smile. He isn't fooling me.

     If you do not hurry up with that dress, I may just eat you now...

     I try not to laugh as he finally gives in to his urges and snatches my upper arms, tugging me on to his lap.

     "Oh my God!"

     Both of us straighten up. I turn my head and see Kwenthrith standing at the other end of the room. One of the double doors is open and she holds on to it for dear life while staring at us. I know Kwen. I know she is brave, and is not thinking about shutting the door and running away. Even from this distance I can see her hair lift slightly, and her hands start to glow. She'll kill herself trying to protect me from a perceived threat. Her loyalty is like none other.

     "Kwen! Kwen, it's all right!" I pull my dress up to cover myself and start to pat Kazaxon's shoulder. "He is a nice demon!"

     Kazaxon leans forward, biting my ear. I yelp. Maybe 'nice demon' was not the right thing to say. Kwen continues to stare, then slowly closes the door behind her as she makes her way over to us. My cheeks turn redder with every step she takes, but at the same time it's fun to see Kwen look so bewildered. The last time she showed any emotion was when Gisela was hurt.

     "Is this something to do with the king's diablerie?" Kwen asks.

     "Yes, Kwen, but don't be afraid. You are in no danger, I promise you."

     "Well... all right then. Your highness, the king told me to find you and take you down to the market district. We cannot be too long and we must be accompanied by two kingsguard. Let me know when you are ready to go."

     My eyes go wide, and without another moment's hesitation I start pulling my dress back up. "Is that true, Kazaxon?" I ask the demon excitedly.

     He seems to be glaring daggers at Kwenthrith. If I could read his expression better I would say he looks suspicious. I suppose I am leaving him at a very inopportune moment. I worry he might stop me, so I pause and await his answer. After a while, he turns back to me and nods his head.

     "Wonderful! Please tell Alekso I said thank you! I will get you both a present." I'm sure neither one of them really cares for gifts, but I am too excited. I will get to enjoy the market, and also get some answers on what happened with that dressmaker. He would not answer any of Alekso's questions from what I was told, but surely this contact will have what I seek.

     Once I am covered enough, I slide off Kazaxon's lap and lean over to give him a kiss. He is not one to be cute, though, and he roughly snatches my chin and dives his tongue in to my mouth. At least he's letting me leave. Poor Kwen gets to watch us for a little longer before I manage to pull away and run over to her.

     "What is that?" She asks in a harsh whisper.

     "Alekso is not your typical diablarist, Kwenny. That is his demon."

     "They know each other? I thought demons just gave power to the mage who summoned them and then go back to... wherever they come from."