Vote

"Mom," Ilias croaked. Aelin was distracted, speaking quietly to her husband. But as her daughter spoke she turned. She said nothing though her face communicated her readiness to listen.

"It's about -its about the shadow singer." Her mother's gold ringed eyes flashed, "did he hurt you?" She shook her head, dreading telling her mother the truth. She looked back at Yrene, who nodded from across the room.

"He's my Mate." She made herself finish, though her mother's attention was snagged by the loud entrance of six fae. Ilias herself knew three on sight. Rhysand lead the charge, with Azriel hesitant in the back and keir chasing after the group. The three she didn't know consisted of two females and a male similar in looks to Azriel.

He had the wings too, but the shadows were absent. And his dark hair was long and tied back.

The first female to talk stood directly beside Rhys, she wore a shining crown on top of golden brown hair. "I'm Feyre, high lady of the night court. My mate and I would like to invite you to spend what time you're here with us." She was formal, and paid no mind to the loud conversing of the others behind her.

"Az! Which one is She?!" It was the other female, who's voice had risen just a bit too much. Ilias knew without question she was the answer to the blondes question. She looked down, and most likely went red. Though she was relieved to find that Azriel was just as embarrassed.

Ignoring the outburst Aelin stepped forward slightly, "Why?"

"Well, I'm sure you'd all just like to go home. The best way we can help with that is if you come with us."

"Why? Why would we trust you? You tortured my family." It was Rowan, stepping to stand beside his wife. From behind the two Ilias tried her best to hide.

"We did what we had to do to protect our family. Surely you can understand that, my king." Rhysand seemed to try and put the others behind him, he was ready to protect them. No matter what.

Ilias watched, she noticed her mother tried to do the same thing. "But can we trust you?"

"Yes."

"What?"

"Yes." Ilias repeated. Both her court and Rhysands seemed shocked by her answer. When they got over the shock she noticed Azriels lip twitch, and Rhysand smirk.

"Why? Ilias? What makes you think we can trust them?"

"Because," she started, looking directly at her mother and then her father. "Because they were just worried about their family, their home. Because one of them is my mate, and when he asked the other not to hurt me he didn't. Because they trust each other, and now -now they trust us.

"Well I mean- maybe not yet- but they're trying. They're extending an olive branch. Can't we try too?" Her mother looked sadly at her, her eyes flicking to her husband every now and then.

"But we don't know them!" Her golden ringed eyes bore into her daughter's, and Ilias felt Rowan come up behind them.

"Your mother's right." At that she let out a loud, barking laugh. Her father never -never admitted to his mate being right!

With a sigh Aelin looked at her daughter and cast a fleeting glance at her court. "But we'll put it to a vote."

"Those of You in my court, or Dorian' s - Raise your hand if you'd like to join or humble hosts."

It took many minutes, and muttering filled the air. But Ilias saw Yrene's hand raise instantly, and her mother look at her father before they both joined yrene.

The rest took what felt like an hour to decide, though Ilias knew it was most likely just anticipation.