Chapter Six - The Legend Gandalfr

Start from the beginning

"No, I've had enough! I'll let you know when you're allowed to speak to me again, Guiche de Gramont." With that, Montmorency turned sharply on her heels and walked away. 

Guiche ground his teeth in silent anger before directing his rage toward the young man who caused it. "You disrespectful peon! How dare you!"

Saito glared at him. "It's not my fault that you're a liar. You don't deserve to have a friend like (Name)."

"Being a peasant, you likely don't understand the weight of the error you've made. So, I'll be willing to let this go and not report this grievance behavior to your master if you apologize nicely."

"Don't toy with me, blondie," Saito growled, getting in Guiche's face. "Who's to say she'll believe anything you say after I tell her what I heard?"

Guiche was momentarily caught off-guard by that. As a noble, he wasn't used to being challenged by anyone, let alone a lowly peasant. He smirked, "Oh, but she'll blindly trust your word? No matter how she may treat you, you're just a peasant and a mere Familiar. Why would (Name) choose someone like you when she could have someone like me?"

The black-haired boy seethed, "She can't have someone like you because you'd just string her along and give her false hope to inflate your over-stuffed ego!" Saito reeled his fist back and shouted, "Stuck-up guys like you make me sick," as he punched Guiche square in the cheek.

The noble stumbled back onto the marble floor, holding his bruised cheek. A few other students had come by the hallway by then and were twittering excitedly about the impending conflict. Saito stared at Guiche, waiting for him to speak as he stumbled to his feet. 

Guiche huffed out a hot breath of pain before stating, "I don't recall your name, peasant."

"Because I never told you. But, if you must know, it's Saito Hiraga."

"I will make you pay for this assault on both my person and character. I propose a duel at the Vestri Court, as soon as I see a water mage about this horrid bruise."

Saito scoffed at him, grinning confidently. "The sooner, the better. See you there."

The crowd began spreading the word about the duel, some even running off to tell others. Within the crowd, Siesta stood with pursed lips, nervously clutching the ends on her apron. 'I must tell Miss (Name) about this.' She ran off to get her noble friend.

Meanwhile, Mr. Colbert set an old book down on Old Osmond's desk. The page he had opened to depicted a rune similar to the one burned on the back of Saito's hand. The elderly man hummed in thought as he read over the page. "So, you believe that the human Familiar summoned by Miss (Last Name) is..."

He nodded. "Yes, Gandalfr. I'm certain of it."

"Well... I would expect nothing less from Kyo the Brave's daughter. Her first year here was a bit of a struggle, but I think with her Familiar, (Name) will succeed."

Mr. Colbert agreed. "So, should I go retrieve them for you, Old Osmond?"

He shook his head. "No, don't bother. The commoner is about to fight Mr. Gramont." he pointed toward the window. "We'll have a lovely view from here."

"Ah! Old Osmond, you can't mean-- !"

"Yes. We'll let them hash it out to test your theory. There's no worry if it turns out he isn't the legendary Gandalfr because his master will protect him from any fatal harm. Besides, it's healthy for young people to work through their problems on their own." He smiled at Mr. Colbert, though it did nothing to ease the bald man.

Saito strode down the hallway with a look of determination. He heard the students he passed gossiping about the fight but ignored them. He was much more focused on the savage beating he had planned for Guiche de Gramont.