Chapter 18 - Season's Greetings & Big Secrets, Pt. 2

Start from the beginning

Yonela

Thursday December 25th, 1986 – Encino, California

It's sunset outside, and everyone in the house is seated around the table for Christmas dinner. I'm talking the works – mashed potatoes, kale and spinach, butternut squash, pasta salad, bean salad, garlic rolls and a whole roast turkey. What a meal.

"Yonela," Katherine speaks some distance down the table. "Would you like to say grace, dear?"

I give a polite nod. "May we all join hands, please?"

The entire table follows my request, Michael and Rebbie being the first to take either of my hands. We all bow our heads before I bless our food.

"Heavenly Father, God of Grace and God of Peace, we come before You to thank You for Christmas time, for family and for Your endless and everlasting love. Jehovah, we ask that You bless the meal we are about to receive, and also bless the souls of those who are hungry tonight. Please be with us, Lord. Continue to protect us as Your Will has ordered, and as Your Word has commanded. Amen."

"Amen!" the room echoes before we all dig into dinner.

"That was beautiful," Michael whispers into my ear, making me blush before I start on my plate.

Joseph carves the turkey while everyone passes food to everyone. The table settles once all the dishes have made their rounds and all the plates are full. We all engage in one conversation while eating, and before we know it it's time for dessert. I stand up to go help Katherine in the kitchen, and we soon carry out four full trays of hot and sticky chocolate pudding.

"So," Marlon starts as he digs in. "When do we get to hear you sing again, Yonela?"

"You can sing?" Jackie and Tito ask while LaToya and Rebbie exchange looks of surprise. In the corner of my eye, I notice Joseph sitting up in his chair.

Here we go again...

"Well, I wouldn't call it singing..."

"Liar!" Randy nearly shouts. "You're good and you know it. We all heard you."

"But still, I---"

"Come on, girl," Janet cuts me off, beaming. "We love your voice, and we love your songs. You gotta do a number for us after dessert."

Sighing from loss of energy, I turn to Michael who is too shy to look me in the eye right now. At that, I turn to Katherine nervously. She simply raises her eyebrows, smiling cheekily with her hands up in surrender.

I'm defeated.

"Okay, okay," I give in, shrugging helplessly. My response if followed by roars of celebration, and in no time at all we've finished dessert. It's the guys' turn to clear and clean up, so they collect the dishes and pop them in the dishwasher while all the ladies and children grab seats and gather in the living room.

"Why not do a piano number tonight?" Jermaine suggests. Everyone agrees with him.

"I have the perfect song," Michael says suddenly, making me look at him with wide eyes. He gives me a naughty look before standing up and walking over to the piano. I take that as my cue to take position next to him; I stand while he sits down. Heart racing, I take a deep breath to calm myself.

After a moment, I hear some chords playing. Immediately recognising the song, I smile. It's the very first song he heard me sing, on the night we met at the Hotel Sinclair. I take a deep breath before singing:

"There's music in the air, it makes our sorrow go, let the music take you there, far from the world you know... I can feel it when I sing, then I know love, there's a joy in everything, we're made for love... Look for love, in the music, lost in a melody, you'll find love... Look for love, in the music, lost in a melody, you'll find love..."