Birthdays & Balconies (Steve AU)

Start from the beginning

"Really?" you asked in surprise. "Wow. Born on the 4th of July. I bet you're an All-American Golden Boy, huh?"

Another burst of laughter. "I don't know about that...I'm sorry we kept you awake. I'm not even much of a party animal, but my roommates decided to surprise me. It's more for them than for me," he said with a sigh.

"Is that why you're hiding on the balcony at your own birthday party?" you teased lightly.

"Might be a contributing factor," he replied bashfully.

You let out a laugh and then stood in silence a moment. "Okay. Well, thanks again. Good night," you said, then sharing a last thought. "Hey, what's your name?"

"Steve. And you?"

"Y/N."

"Nice to meet you, Y/N. Good night. Again, sorry."

You smiled and took the few steps to the door. Grasping the knob, you noticed it wouldn't turn. Shaking it more forcefully with the door refusing to open, it finally dawned on you. The door was locked from the inside.

"Dammit," you groaned out loud, leaning your forehead against the door.

"Something wrong?" you heard from Steve below you.

"I think I'm locked out," you said dejectedly.

"Seriously?" he asked with what sounded like genuine concern. You'd expect laughter at your expense from most people.

"Unfortunately," you sighed.

"Huh. Okay, um...I can call the landlord, he might be..."

You scoffed at that. "If he wouldn't show up in the middle of the afternoon because of a clogged sink, what makes you think he'd even respond after midnight?"

"Fair point..." Steve muttered, then letting out a sigh. "Well, I have a friend who has a particular talent for breaking in to places..."

"What? You're friends with a burglar?" you exclaimed, walking over to lean against the railing.

"No! I mean, she...no, Nat is...well, let's just say it's a hobby. No stealing. At least from what I know..." he trailed off, sounding uncertain. "Anyway, she left the party about an hour ago but I can get her to come help. Might be a little while, though."

You groaned again, resting on your arms against the railing. "I'm gonna freeze out here," you muttered against the skin of your arm. It might be July, but the air was still cooler at night and you were not exactly dressed for the outdoors.

There was a short silence. "Why don't....why don't you climb down here? There's a fire escape right there, I..."

"Are you nuts?" you cried out.

"It'll be fine! I promise. I can steady you, here..." You heard some quiet movement before you suddenly spotted a handsome face next to your feet, causing you to yelp loudly.

"What are you doing?!?"

You backed away a step but could tell that Steve was standing on the top of his own railing and now had his hands around the steel rods of your own. He looked completely steady and not the least bit concerned about his own safety. There was a wide, bright smile on his lips and with that chiseled jaw and dirty blond hair parted to the side, he really did look like a Golden Boy. God Bless America. His wide, muscular shoulders were barely visible but if they fit the rest of him, he probably could keep you safe. That is IF you went through with this crazy idea.

"Y/N...I promise, you'll be perfectly safe. Come over to this side. Please." He gestured to you with one hand casually, as if he weren't balancing on two inches of steel four stories above the concrete sidewalk.