SIETE

after cesar's announcement, esperanza's house was filled with the crew and some other students that espy occasionally talked to.

just as esperanza sat down with olivia and monse, they looked over to her charcoal grey couch that ruby was on – along with a drunk jasmine.

in almost a whisper, ruby called out to the trio, "help me," before jasmine continues on with her ranting.

"should we throw him a bone?" esperanza asked, looking at the boy that was going through some type of hell.

"and get stuck in jasmine's quicksand? we'll never get out," monse answers, taking a swing from her beer bottle. just as espy drank her beer, she sighed, knowing the girl was right.

"okay. i'm getting another refill. c'mon mons," olivia said, dragging the afro-latina with her, making esperanza smile.

as olivia and monse passed cesar, they told him something that espy couldn't hear over the music. trying to not look at cesar for too long, he looked up from his phone, and played a slow song, smiling as esperanza made a 'why' face, making the boy shrug and begin to walk over. when cesar was a foot infront of esperanza, she took a long drink of her alcohol, as cesar got a text.

"be right back," he said as esperanza finished her beer, looking at cesar strangely as he walked to the back of the house.

esperanza leaned against her door frame, watching the boy count the stack of money  that he pulled from his pocket.

"are you serious?" esperanza asked, moving some hair that fell infront if her face behind her ear.

quickly putting the money away, cesar changed the subject asking, "ready for our dance?"

"estas loco? why are you carrying that? vas a matarte,"

"don't worry about it," cesar said calmly, "worry about this."

suddenly, esperanza was grabbed by her waist, struggling, but was laughing at cesar as he placed her on the bed, and got on top of her. when the two were about to kiss, a voice broke out from the doorway.

"hey," olivia said, holding the beer she said she would get espy.

"hi olivia! perfect timing," esperanza said before slightly pushing cesar off of her, "ya, cesar! tú sabes that i hate tickling,"

"i'm sorry. i had to leave that room," olivia explained, "jasmine was threatening to show us her 'two-man job.' and – seriously, i'll cover i'm eyes,"

as esperanza sat on edge of her bed, she shook her head 'no', as cesar laid on her bed, also shaking his head.

"you're saving me," esperanza said, "we're just being stupid. come here,"

placing the 'new' girl between herself and cesar, esperanza sat back down, taking the drink from olivia's hand, mumbling a quick 'thanks'.

as the three sat in awkward silence for a moment, olivia spoke up, "i definitely interrupted something,"

making both latinos say 'no' and 'nothing' simultaneously.

"just so you know, i keep shit private. i don't gossip. i'm all about that lock and key," olivia said.

"no doubt," cesar began, looking at the two next to him, "but espy and i are just friends," he explained right before monse stumbled in, and took a seat on esperanza's vanity chair.