Choices

You awoke feeling strong arms holding you against someone's chest. You squirmed a little as you came to.

"Wake up nina." Came a low pleading voice and from what your dizzy mind could gather it sounded like hector.

"Hec-hector?" You mumbled your eyes opening sleepily.

"Not quite mija." Someone spoke rubbing your back gently. You squirmed at the feeling as it was unusual for someone to be gentle with you.

"Are you alright mija?" The voice asked.

"I-i think so." You mumbled sitting up. Your vision began to clear and you realized you were in the arms of your papa Ernesto and he looked very worried.

"I was scared you were badly injured." He said as you looked around.

"Where's Miguel and hector?" You uttered quietly trying to get your brain to think straight.

"I sent Miguel home." Ernesto said gently. And Hector is being treated as a VIP guest at my sunrise spectacular."

You frowned as your jumbled brain couldn't think. You rubbed your forehead hoping that might help. It did no such thing.

"That's good. But there was something we needed." You whispered. "For Hector." You said your eyes narrowing in concentration. "It was important."

"I'm sure it's taken care of mija." Ernesto assured you gently. "Are you ready to go home?" Your hand landed against his chest pocket. Your fingers edged over a paper like object. That's when it hit you. The photo, you needed the photo.

"Papa Ernesto did Miguel take the photo?" You asked worriedly. Ernesto only smiled.

"Of course mija. Now come, we should really send you home." He said walking over to get a new petal. Your mind wandered. You would go back to your uncle and life would continue. Or you could stay here with Ernesto and be loved. You were sure Miguel could remember you.

"Papa Ernesto?" You asked weakly before he took the petal.

"Yes mija?" He asked gently. You weren't sure this is what you wanted but the stinging pain in your neck made up your mind.

"May I stay with you?" You asked quietly. You would understand if he wanted you to leave. But Ernesto only smiled broadly.

"You want to stay?!" He asked excitedly.

"If you wouldn't mind?" You asked quietly.

"Oh mija I would love for you to stay. But are you sure? There is no going back." Ernesto stated solemnly.

"I'm sure." You said with a nod then you put your hand on his chest once again as you used it as leverage to kiss his cheek.

Then you pulled away but realization struck you. Earlier Ernesto had nothing in his chest pocket. You frowned and removed the paper and you heard Ernesto gasp.

"Mija wait." You looked at the picture with a deeper frown than before.

"Why do you have this?" You asked lowly without bothering to look up. Ernesto gave a sigh as he took the picture from you and slipped it back into his chest pocket.

"Security!" He called out calmly. Suddenly two skeletons dressed in black came running in. Ernesto handed you over. "Tie her up I don't want her running away."

"Should we put her with the others sir?" One guard asked. You were too weak from blood loss to fight back.

"What did you really do with Hector and miguel?!" You demanded darkly.

"No, there's no time. Bring her to the show. Let her see her papa show what he's made of." Ernesto said with a smirk towards you.

"Oh I already know what you're made of." You growled as the security guard finished with your binds. Ernesto knelt to your level.