Chapter 1

"Melanie" Mrs.Hawkins called as she went down the list for attendance.

"Here" I respond as I raised my hand for her to see I was present.

So let me introduce myself I'm Melanie Wilson. I attend Pacific High as a senior. I am currently in my most favorite class, English. Note the sarcasm.

I live in a very small town with my mother and brother. My brother is currently attending a small community college near home, so he can study and work at the same time. To continue helping our mother financially since she doesn't earn a lot of money working at a local restaurant.

As for my dad, there's absolutely no telling where he's at. He left 16 years ago and we haven't heard a single word of where he is or if he's still alive.

"Psst"

"Psst"

I look to my left to see the one and only Hannah Bates also known as my best friend.

Hannah is a very small girl barely reaching 5′3 in height, with green eyes, light brown hair that reaches her shoulder, and fairly tan skin. She's currently wearing light blue skinny jeans with a shirt that reads 'Can I go home already' and black converse.

I've known Hannah since we both started first grade. Or more specifically since the day, a little boy threw her peanut butter and jelly sandwich on the ground. Oh, and just because he felt like it.

*Flashback*

I grabbed the lunch bag that my mom had packed earlier in the morning and start to walk towards the playground since it was our break time or 'time to have a snack' as the teacher word it.

As I walked towards a set of swings that was on my left side; I saw a little girl with pigtails, my little pony shirt, and shoes that lite up sitting there with what seemed to be a sandwich in her hands.

As I got closer a little black hair boy ran up to her, exchanged a few words, and suddenly slapped her sandwich out of her hands.

I started running towards them. As I got there the little girl started crying. I looked at the boy who had caused it and he was smiling as if he had just won the lottery.

"What's wrong with you?" I shouted as I pushed him to the side and stood beside the girl.

"What is it to you?" He argued back. Clearly not happy of me just pushing him.

"Why did you throw her food on the ground, you bully" I replied.

"Look, little girl, this is none of your business so get to walking" he answered back.

"Look" I walked closer to him. "I don't know who you are but I don't like bullies like you, so leave me and my friend alone. Do you hear me?" I replied slowly so could get every single word across his head.

"Or what" he spat back.

I didn't even have to tell him since I hit him right where the sun doesn't shine.

*End of Flashback*

Let's just say we clicked right then and there. I shared with her some of my food that evening and became best friends.

As for the boy, he later came back apologizing, gave Hannah another peanut butter and jelly sandwich, and we later became friends.

Weird right?

"What?" I whispered knowing very well that I didn't want Mrs. Hawkins catching me talking and later have detention.

I'm not a good little angel sent from heaven, as you may now know, that acts like a proper lady, never gets in trouble, or hardly talks during class.

I do get in trouble from either talking, being late, or punching someone in the face for messing with those who are scared of defending themselves. Not that I want to start it but it's just that they hit that one nerve and it sets me off in seconds.

"Ethan asked what movies do we want to watch tonight since it's Friday?" She whispered.

You may be wondering who Ethan is, right?

Well, Ethan is the famous guy that I hit right where the sun doesn't shine back in first grade. We surprisingly ended up being in the same grade, same class and having the same birthday.

Talking about weird?

Now about the movies, we started having a movie day every Friday to just gather together since we don't all have the same classes since freshman year.

"It really doesn't matter but we can watch the nun, I haven't seen it yet" I suggested.

"Really Mel, another horror movie?" She groaned.

"Hey, it's not like you see it anyway. You fall asleep as soon as the movie beginnings" I replied.

"Ahem" I heard the voice coming from someone that was standing right in front of my desk.

"Oh hey Mrs.Hawkins," I said as I saw her looking at Hannah and me with disapproving looks.

Mrs. Hawkins is no taller than 5'4, has olive skin, ash brown hair cut into a bob that has a strand pulled back with a pin. She was currently wearing a black pencil skirt with a wine color blouse.

Mrs. Hawkins and I don't have a very good past.

Why? I don't know myself.

Usually, for every sarcastic comment that comes out of my mouth, I'm sent to Mr. Hicks office.

"Am I interrupting something?" she asked.

"Actually you we-" I got cut off by Hannah clearing her throat.

"No ma'am nothing important. Right, Mel." She answered with a sweet tone that everyone would fall for but you could still hear the hint in there telling me to go along with her or else.

Not that she would really do anything.

"Yep, that's right I was asking what the topic for these project was because I didn't hear you saying it" I answered Mrs.Hawkins back.

"Oh great" she clapped her hands together. "I was just about to tell the class."

She walked back to the front of the classroom and pulled out a sheet of paper.

"So, for this project, you will have to dig out some information out of your parents" she paused. "Well, it's more of a dad project. You will have to find out what their childhood life was, information of their parents, their job, how they met your mom, and lastly how is it to be a dad"

Well great, now all that's left is to find out where my so said 'dad' is at.