I tried to push myself up into a sitting position but my arms felt like jelly and I instantly collapsed with exhaustion. I sighed with frustration as I fell back on to my bed.

             "Lou?" My Mum croaked, looking up at me with swollen red eyes, "You're awake!" She exclaimed happily and I winced as the loud pitch of her voice sliced through my pounding head.

"My head hurts." I complained, confused. Images of the car suddenly crashing into me flew into my mind as I remembered what had happened. I felt the need to clarify my suspicion. "Wait - did I get run over?"

"Yeah hun, but Dr. Hampshaw said you only have a few cuts and bruises but nothing too serious." She smiled weakly as she held my hand, giving it a supportive squeeze before looking at me sympathetically, "Your leg is badly sprained though, I wouldn't try to move it if I were you."

"Thank God." I breathed out in relief.

I tried to move my legs as I sat up and hissed when pain surged through my right leg.

Ugh. Lovely.

             "You're awake!" The familiar voice of Alyssa exclaimed as she rushed into the room looking distressed. Her eyes were also swollen and bloodshot with dark circles lurking beneath them. "Are you okay?"

"I'm alive." I laughed, but stopped as pain shot through my ribs.

"I'll leave you two to talk okay?" My Mum smiled then added. "I need to talk to your Dad about this."

I nodded, even though I really didn't want her to bother with calling my Dad, he wouldn't care anyway.

"Okay."

My Mum exited the room, closing the door with a soft click and Alyssa sat down in her chair.

"I got you something." She stated, wiggling her eyebrows cheekily.

"You did?" I raised an eyebrow.

She gave me a sour look, "You don't even believe me!" She frowned but it soon morphed into a grin, "Fine. I'll just have to eat it then."

"Eat?" My mouth was suddenly watering as I realised how hungry I was.

I watched curiously as she reached down into her bag and took out a paper bag. She dived in and revealed a doughnut. My stomach rejoiced with a loud roar.

"You brought me a doughnut!" I stated happily.

"Correction: I brought you a custard doughnut." She smirked triumphantly.

"Really?!" I burst out in excitement - it's my favourite dessert, okay?

"Yep. It's a shame you didn't believe me and I have to eat it now..." She trailed off as she began eyeing my doughnut. I scowled at her.

"You don't even like custard!" I pointed out.

"I do now." She replied smugly.

"You're stealing food from an injured person!" I complained.

"I haven't even gave it to you yet so how is that stealing? And I bought it!" She frowned.

"Just give me the doughnut."

"No."

"Please?"

"No."

"It's rightfully mine!"

"Yeah right!"

"Please!"

"No."

"Not even with a cherry on top?"