A ball landed right at my feet as I crossed the field. I looked up to see who had thrown it, quick guess? You are wrong, Chris.

He was standing next to Marcel but I knew he was the one who threw the ball because his hands were still suspended in the air and he was grinning foolishly. I stepped over the ball and continued on my way.

'Yo Amanda! He called out and I turned to face him.
'The least you can do is throw the ball back'.
He was perfectly correct. I picked up the ball and threw it at his face earning a yelp from him. I picked up my book and continued for the hostel.

'Wait'. Said the rich baritone voice every living and nonliving thing in apex knew to belong to its demigod, Marcel.
I stopped and waited for him to walk over.

'So... You were serious'. I gave him a blank look to show I wasn't following.
'You are really not going to take part in the sports week?'
So he had heard Rasheed and I in the library.
'No, I'm not. I thought it would be obvious by now'.
'Why not?'

I was trying not to ask why he cared but I was sure he could see it in my eyes and chose to ignore it.
'I'm studying'.
'Right, forgot you were on probation. How are those grades coming?'
'Good enough'.
'It's refreshing to see you walk around with books. You never did strike me as the book loving type'.

'The thought of being under you is motivating enough'.
'At least I motivate someone positively'.
I scoffed.
'Last days at Forcados high, huh?' He said looking at the book in my hand. 'Henceforth I shall call you Efua or maybe I should use her nickname; the witch'.
'Why did you stop me Marcel?'
'To get a rise out of you. You have to admit, it's been a while'.

I glared at him and turned, walking to my room.
'See you around witch'.

        My roomies were all in the shower when I got to the room. I dumped my things on the bed and stripped.

'Barbie! Bath with us'. Hen hollered. She was going to pull me into the already cramped bathroom whether I agreed or not so I just walked in quietly to avoid any commotions.

After several water fights and somehow managing to wash my body without spilling lather on everyone else, we got out of the bathroom. I got dressed in my daywear and climbed up to my bed. We still had about thirty minutes until supper time, half of which we spent listening to Hen recite her litany of Christopher Lawal. I loved the girl but she could do better.

Abike and Henrietta left the room early and I was left with Vivian who was sitting on the other top bunk, facing me.
'Amanda'. She called and I raised my eyes from the last page of the book to look at her, eager to hear what she had to say so I could go back to completing the book.

'What's up?' She asked casually.
'Nothinggg'. I drawled. She was acting weird.
She sighed and ran a hand through the cornrows they had braided our hair into over the weekend.

'Look, I'm not trying to play detective here but I know something is wrong. Quitting the team? Sports as a whole. The new attachment to books? Keeping to yourself most of the time? And don't give me that crap about being a natural quiet person, you've moved from quiet to downright antisocial. Since the start of the term you've been acting weird and Abike appears to know something but she won't speak and I'm beginning to worry'.

I smiled. I didn't know she cared that much.

'There is nothing to worry about, I'm fine. I just need to lay low and concentrate on studies, as you know, my grades are not that great'.
She shrugged.

'If you say so'. She didn't look entirely convinced.
'Hey, so what house do you think will win? I will place my bet on green house, well mostly because it's my house'. She said with enthusiasm she only directed at sports.

'I wouldn't know but I'm sure green house will win since you are there'.
'I know right. Plus Chris Lawal is there too. I might not like the guy but when it comes to sport, he is pretty good'.

'My feelings exactly'.
We both laughed.
'I heard they are inviting parents over this Saturday for the finale'. She said.
'They are?'

'Yeah. We usually do it on our own with the staff but this year is different. Something about taking sports in apex to the next level. Coach Dan is so excited, though he's still mad you aren't participating'.

I smiled at her with one thought in mind; my mom is not coming, and I was right because come Saturday, Mrs Dapo was there with her container of excuses that were definitely not needed because we all knew the truth, she didn't want to see the child that ruined her relationship but she had nothing to worry about, she won't be seeing me longer than she needs to.

Vivian had been right, green house did win.

--------------------------------------------------------
Hey my muchachos! How you been?
I'm so sorry I didn't update last week and yesterday. Life happened (in the form of laziness) and I had to go with it but I'm back babies.😀
And I'm grateful for all the support this book has been getting; 400reads!

Please vote, comment and pm me!!

This one is dedicated to d_oyewole1