FIFTY-SIX

— • —

may 11, 2018

INCOMING CALL FROM HONEY

"Hi."

"Hi? That's really all you're gonna say right now?"

"Chris—"

"Cole, I came home and half of your shit was gone!"

"You mean my things? I'm not gonna have a conversation with you if you're gonna be disrespectful."

"I know you seriously aren't playing that card right now. What's disrespectful is leaving, going God knows where, and not letting your boyfriend know. And don't talk to me about not having conversations right now."

"I'm going to see my mom. I didn't think I needed permission."

"You don't need permission, Cole. But how about giving me a heads up? You want to go see your Mom, that's great. But don't leave without telling me where you're going. God, I almost called the fucking police."

"That would have been unnecessary."

"Unnecessary?"

"Yes, unnecessary."

"Cole—"

"Chris, I told you that I might be pregnant, and you looked as if it was the worst thing that could possibly happen to us."

"I said I would have been happy if that test was positive, Cole."

"Yeah, but you didn't see the look on your face when you saw it was negative. You weren't just relieved, Chris, you were fucking ecstatic."

"Because we've only been dating for five months, Cole! I was fucking terrified."

"You think I wasn't? You think I didn't run all that through my head while I was waiting on the bathroom floor for two hours before you got home? You know I want to be a mother, Chris. You know I couldn't even get up out of bed for a month after Taylor died. And yeah, this baby would have been a surprise, but I was excited. And to see you not be fucking wrecked me."

"Cole... Cole please don't cry."

"I wanted that test to be positive. And you didn't."

"We can talk about it when you get home. Go have fun with your mom. Tell her I say hi."

"Why weren't you happy?"

"I'll talk to you later Cole."

"I was really fucking happy."

CALL DISCONNECTED

— • —