Chapter 3

My eyes fluttered open and my head buzzed in pain. I was still being carried. I could see a little bit of sun shining through the trees. I felt so tired. "Dad?" I said, my voice cracking.

I was lifted off the man's shoulder and onto the ground. I rested my hand against a tree to keep my balance, looking down to see the knife in my leg with a piece of fabric wrapped right above it.

"You might want some water." He said handing me a bottle. I opened it quickly and drank most of it. I twisted the cap back on and handed it to him. He took it and put it back into his bag. He had a rope with squirrels hanging on it and a crossbow on his shoulder.

"Where's my dad?" I asked him. He looked at me confused.

"I didn't see anyone else." He said quietly. "I just saw you pinned against a truck and a few other guys." I looked at the ground. My heart felt ice cold.

"We have to go back. M-my dad he was in that van." I said panicking.

"We've been walking for half and hour already. It's too far, and they drove away." He said. I didn't know if he was trying to make me feel better or just have me face the fact that I was never going to see my dad again.

"Then im going back." I said taking my hand off the tree, almost losing my balance.

"Listen, kid, you're not going anywhere like this." He said, referring to the blade in my leg.

"I-I'm fine." I said. I turned around the opposite way we were walking. Or... he was walking. I had a very clear limp.

"Hey. " He said, trying to get my attention. I ignored him. "Hey!" He said again. I could hear him walking closer. I wish I could walk faster. Even just run. He grabbed my arm pulling me.

"Hey, let go!" I said struggling.

"I'm not gonna let a little girl die out here." He said.

"I'm 13!" I yelled. He lifted me back up and put me back on his shoulder. "Are you serious?" I said, struggling more. He didn't say anything and started walking again. I eventually gave up and just, well, hung there.

"You done?" He asked, jokingly.

"Whatever." I said. I was angry. Why didn't he just let me go? He kept walking. "I'm sorry."

"About what?" He asked.

"Well first off, you having to carry me." I said. "Well not now." He put me back on the ground.

"Well in that case, we're both walking." He said. We started to walk again, me limping behind. "You weren't even that heavy, so." He said.

Probably because me and my dad haven't eaten in a while. We were trying to save our food. It wasn't much.

Suddenly I heard a rustling in the trees. He heard it clearly, too. "Walker." I said. feeling through my pockets. "Crap." I must've dropped my gun. He pulled his crossbow off his shoulder and pointed it towards the noise. A deer popped out from behind a few trees. We stayed quiet. He aimed at the deer, I felt bad for it but we needed food. Well, I did, but did he? Wait did he have a group? I never even thought about that.

He shot an arrow, and it went throught the deer. It made a loud screech, and started to run.

"Damnit." He muttered, reloading the crossbow. "Come on." He said. We walked in the direction the deer went. After a few minutes we saw the deer again, looking around and blood dripping on the arrow. It was cleary scared. He shot again. The deer ran off.

We folowed it for a few more minutes and saw it again. It looked as if it was getting tired. He shot once more and it screeched again, running up a hill. "How many times do you have to shoot this thing?" I said.

We kept walking and started to going up a hill. I suddenly heard a scream, it sounded like a little kid.