Chapter 8

That night, back in New Urbem~

"Tonight, we go now to a special remote interview... with Elastigirl and Lady Sav" The news man Chad announced on the TV. 

"How you feeling, Chad?" Lady Sav's voice asked on the phone.  

"You doing alright?" Elastigirl's voice also asked.   

"I'm fine. The doctors checked me out" Chad replied. "I have no memory of the event" 

"I gotta tell you, it's pretty strange to see a recording of yourself the night before and have no recollection. I don't think anyone needs to worry. We've taken many precautions tonight though" 

It was revealed to be that the girls were right outside the TV station on a satellite dish on top of the building. 

"Where are you two right now? " Chad asked the two super heroines.  

"On a case" Elastigirl replied. "In a secure undisclosed location"  

"That's right" Lady Sav added. 

"I wanna talk about you two..." Chad started. "Starting with your save of a runaway train. Here's an exclusive unedited clip from your own suit cams" 

Everyone around town started watching the clip of the previous few days ago of the motorcycle chase on Elastigirl and Lady Sav's save of the runway train on TVs at home, store windows, everywhere. 

Until the screen suddenly went blurry for a second with technical difficulties and changed to a creepy figure on the screen with a mask on. 

"The Screenslaver interrupts this program for an important announcement. Don't bother watching the rest"

"Gotcha!" Elastigirl said as she and Lady Sav looked at their tracking device, getting Screenslaver's signal source and began to follow it.  

"Elastigirl and Lady Sav don't save the day. They only postpones their defeat. And while they postpones their defeat... you eat chips and watch them invert problems that you are too lazy to deal with. Superheroes are part of your brainless desire to replace true experience with simulation"

Elastigirl stretched her body out while Lady Sav used her powers to shape-shift into a slingshot and they both took off, gliding through the quiet night city while Screenslaver's message continued. 

"You don't talk, you watch talk shows. You don't play games, you watch game shows. Travel, relationship, risk... every meaningful experience must be packaged and delivered to you to watch at a distance. So that you can remain ever sheltered...ever passive...ever ravenous consumers who can't bring themselves to rise from their couches. Break a sweat and participate in life"

Elastigirl and Lady Sav landed on a nearby building and looked at the tracker again, drawing closer to the Screenslaver's hideout. 

"You want superheroes to protect you... and make yourselves even more powerless in the process. While, you tell yourselves you're being 'looked after'. That your interests are being served. And your rights are being upheld. So that the system can keep stealing from you... smiling at you all the while"

Elastigirl and Lady Sav found an old apartment building with millions of wires connected up to the satellite dish. They followed it all the way down to an open window. 

"Go ahead, send your Supers to stop me. Grab your snacks, watch your screens, and see what happens. You are no longer in control. I am"