2/Detention

I sit next to Alex in our math class. We were doing some work from our books.

A piece of paper lands on my book. I pick it up and read it.

Wyd this weekend?

-Alex

I sigh and write back:

Probably nothing like always

-J

Wanna go to a party with me and the squad?

-Alex

I actually had never been to a party before. I think about it.

Sure ig

-J

"Mr. Laurens and Mr. Hamilton see me after class," says Mr. Adams.

Fucking great. Alex crumples the paper and puts it in his pocket.

I stare at the clock until class is over. Alex and I make our way to Mr. Adams' desk.

"I noticed you two passing notes during class time. This tells me that you weren't paying attention to my lesson. You both have detention today. You're dismissed."

We walk out of the classroom together. "Not like I had anything to do after school," I shrug.

Alex sighs. "I had football practice. I'm gonna be in so much trouble." He rubs his temples in frustration.

I grab his hand. "It'll be okay. That doesn't make you a bad player."

He smiles down at me then quickly releases my hand. "Oh h-hey Liza," he says nervously.

"Hey Alex," Eliza says as she walks up to him and kisses him. And to my sadness he kisses back. I look down at the floor.

"So are you still coming over to my house after school?"

"I would've after practice but John and I got detention."

"Oh," she says surprised. "What for?"

"P-passing notes," I say.

Eliza looks at me. "Oh. Well that's very unfortunate."

I look at my watch. "I-I should get going. I'll see you later, Alexander."

I head to the detention room and put my stuff on the table and take out a book. I look around. Where is Alexander?

He walks in about ten minutes later. I look up from my book and see him. His face is red and some of his hair is falling out of his ponytail.

"You're late Hamilton," says the teacher.

"S-sorry, I was uh finishing a test."

The teacher nods.

I notice some small lipstick smudges on Alex's face. I brush it off as nothing and pull my jacket around my shoulders.

After detention I say goodbye to Alex.

"Wait John," he says and holds my hand. "I'm sorry if Eliza has been mean to you lately, she's paranoid that someone will take me from her."

"Yandere much?"

Alex laughs. "Yeah let's hope she doesn't kill anybody. Anyway, I was wondering if you'd let me walk you home."

"You're not going to Eliza's?"

"Nah. She's kinda mad at me for hanging out with you..."

"Oh." I knew Eliza hated me but she shouldn't be getting mad at Alexander for this.

"Can I walk you home?"

"Oh um yeah."

We walk to my house together discussing musicals, games, animals.

He walks me to the door this time. "I'll see you tomorrow," he says as he hugs me.

I instinctively hug back. "Bye Alexander."