"Why should I care?" Loki asked, "that's not relevant at all."

"But that's the thing," Sherlock replied patiently, "in detective-work, everything is relevant. You see, she was wearing an old pants, which means she'll be working in the garden because she also had boots on. And if she's working in the garden, she'll be busy for a while. Which'll ensure that she won't clean our room, and find my revolver under the mattress."

Loki raised an eyebrow.

"Impressive."

Sherlock smiled.

"I know, I can be a genius, sometimes."

"Join the club," Loki mumbled, "genius, well-armed, abandoned psychopaths."

"High-functioning sociopath," Sherlock corrected automatically.

"What?" Loki frowned.

"Sociopath," Sherlock repeated, "not psychopath."

"So you're saying you have feelings," Loki smirked, "that's interesting coming from a person who locks themselves up in their... mind palace... twenty-four—seven. I'm sticking to psychopath — it's closer to philanthropist too."

"Stop talking John," Sherlock mumbled, clearly zoning out again.

Loki sighed.

"There was a day that I was burdened with glorious purpose, and now I'm just burdened with silent psychopathic—"

"—sociopath—"

"—sociopathic mortals."

There was a silence.

"Quite a coincidence, isn't it, that everyone here seems to come from either of our worlds? Almost everyone is recognisable."

Loki looked around the room to prove his point, and his attention was attracted to a man balancing on one leg on the top of a ladder, trying to screw in a lightbulb.

"That, for example, is definitely Clint," Loki grinned, "he always did have a habit for doing everything the hardest and most acrobatic way possible."

Sherlock opened his mouth to interrupt, but was stopped before he could even start by two young lades, which Loki recognized as two of their classmates.

"Mary Watson," the one introduced herself, "seeing you two seem to be suffering from memory loss."

"And Darcy," the girl next to her joined in, "Darcy Lewis."

"Mary...?" Sherlock paused, opening and closing his mouth a few times.

"Darcy..." Loki repeated, his brain at work furiously trying to figure out why she looked familiar.

"I didn't know John had a sister," Sherlock muttered, "other than Harriet, anyway."

"I'm assuming you know our names?" Loki enquired smoothly, and Darcy smiled.

"Yes, of course. Loki and Sherlock. Don't think I could ever forget. Want some coffee?"

Darcy offered Loki a cup of coffee, and he took it with a charming smile.

"Do you know where John is?" Sherlock asked Mary.

"John who?" Mary frowned.

"John Watson..." Sherlock hesitated, "he doesn't happen to be your brother? Or cousin, or..."

"I'm an adopted only child, Sherlock," Mary smiled, "He sounds nice though."

Sherlock smiled to himself.