"There you are!" Evaleen exclaimed, turning briefly away from Danny to greet them. They were sitting at their usual table in the far corner; a simple table - which was white, polished, and held the distinctive scent of chemicals - with a bench seat on both sides. Though it was frowned upon to show public displays of affection, it didn't stop Danny - careful, law abiding Danny - from putting his arm around his girlfriend.

Kyra took the seat across from Evaleen. What Eva lacked in brains, she made up for in personality. There were only a few occasions Kyra had seen Eva without a smile on her lips, and those other times she was usually pulling a "cat" face. It was a strange combination of a tight lipped smile and closed eyes that somehow made up her favourite expression, and as strange as it sounded, it was actually rather adorable. Albeit she'd never seen one in real life, Evaleen had a fascination with the felines that couldn't quite be explained. They were the main focus of her art.

"Not that I'm complaining," Kyra said, glancing between the two with a frown, "but shouldn't you be across the street? I thought you had classes today. Why are you here?"

"We do. Well, did. They were cancelled. The story behind it is... interesting," Danny said, exchanging an uncomfortable look with his girlfriend.

Evaleen leaned across the table, narrowly avoiding getting clumpy pasta in her long, ginger hair. Her amber eyes darted around nervously, though the words that followed were much too quiet for anyone else to hear. "Alexia Ruth, she got sent... outside."

Three hundred years ago this would have been a simple phrase. It wouldn't have made you tremble at the thought of it. But in Arabel, getting sent outside meant going over the fence and never coming back, a fate worse than death.

"Why?" Kyra couldn't control the volume in which she spoke, and the question came out much louder than she expected it to. Alexia embodied the word perfect. She received perfect grades, a perfect fate, and had a perfect record - Kyra had never seen her receive a single zap.

"No clue. We were in all the same classes for a while but then about three months ago she stopped going. No explanation, no contact."

James stiffened. There was a dull thud as his grip went slack and his pickle hit the tray. Kyra found his hand on the seat and wrapped her fingers around his, reassuring him. Alexia is not Ashley, she wanted to say, but the words were stuck in her throat. She couldn't lie to him. Hardly anyone went missing in Arabel. One person was an accident; two people were a pattern.

"I just thought she'd changed to a different timetable," Danny said, shrugging. " No one could have imagined she'd get sent outside."

"Does anyone know what she did?" James asked, waving his pickle in an attempt of nonchalance.

"I heard it was all because she forgot to put her bracelet on one morning. They thought she was someone from the outside. That's just crazy, right? I mean, that could never happen. Right?" Evaleen rubbed her forehead as she looked over at Danny.

"Yes, of course. " Danny stared into the distance as he pulled Eva closer to his chest, but his eyes betrayed him; they were full of doubt. Though why, Kyra wasn't sure. Everything they'd been told pointed towards an obvious conclusion: the Outside was empty.

"It's sort of impossible. Isn't everyone on the outside, well, dead?" James asked, his brows furrowed in confusion. Kyra was thinking the same thing, though she didn't want to speak up. Peeking up at Danny through her lashes, she saw the dots connecting behind his eyes. Whether they were thinking the same thing or not, Kyra wasn't sure, but she could only form one thought: I hope they aren't dead, for my father's sake. I hope he's still alive out there.

"They're supposed to be." Danny glanced at his sister briefly as he spoke, and in that second she had her answer.

Sit properly, Citizen.

Kyra straightened her back and pulled her dress back down to her knees, obeying the robotic voice in her head.

A shudder ran down Kyra's spine. Thinking of what was outside the fences was more daunting than the thought of her Vinctures. All of their history books said that the past was a horrible, dirty place with drug addicts and homeless people around every corner. Kyra thought, in some cryptic way, it was good the disease put an end to their foolishness - and their pain.

Your society is good, Citizen.

A list began to form in Kyra's mind. Not of the things she was afraid of — although that was a very tempting idea — but of all the things she didn't know about the Vinctures. With every silent moment a new question made itself known, each more important and terrifying than the last. She wanted to ask Danny and Eva about them. Having done the Vinctures only last year, the memories would still be fresh in their minds. Despite this, Kyra knew any attempt she made to ask them would be futile. No one came out of the Vinctures the same, and no one ever talked about what they went through.

"Kyra?" Danny asked, clicking his fingers in front of her face.

Kyra's head fell off of her hand. "Oh, sorry I was just... "

"Stressing about tomorrow, most likely." James raised a brow, but his grip on her hand tightened.

"I'm in a constant state of stress, you should know that by now," she joked.

"How could I forget." His grin was replaced by a sigh. "They're just going to give us a random partner and job. For all we know, they pick it out of a hat."

Right on cue, James froze, his face contorting into a grimace. His hand gripped Kyra's, squeezing it so hard she almost winced, but she didn't. Instead, she toughed it out, focusing on the waves of goosebumps running up and down James' arm with every zap he received.

"I dunno, I think that's a lot to leave up to chance." Danny spoke as though he was trying to convince himself. "One day you'll be thankful for what our society has done. One day you'll realize how good they've been to us." He looked meaningfully down at Eva, who returned his gaze.

James jumped up from his seat as if he was on fire, faster than Kyra thought possible. He made to walk away, but stopped, realising he was still holding Kyra's hand.

"I just remembered I have my final track practice, but I'll see you later, okay Jackson?" He smiled down at her and squeezed her fingers lightly, before letting her hand go. Kyra couldn't help the sadness that crept into her stomach; that was one of the last times he would be able to hold her hand like that without it being a crime. By the end of the week, they would both be partnered.

She sighed, picked up her half eaten pickle and sighed; life was far too complicated.

— — author's note — —

Hey guys! Thanks again for reading.

What do you think about Alexia Ruth being sent outside?

What are your thoughts on Danny and Evaleen? Just so you know, I pronounce her name 'ever-lean'.

Please consider commenting and voting if you enjoyed this chapter - your feedback means a lot to me!

- Brianna