New Years (Part 22)

Y/n's POV

Well, my Christmas was pretty uneventful. Not much happened. I woke up around 1pm, watched some Christmas movies (Frosty, Christmas Vacation and Rudolph), called Jim and talked to him for a while and I ended up going over to Pam and Roy's. I hadn't seen Pam in a couple months, so I was really happy to see her. We talked about Jim and I and how work was, she said she missed it at the office but she loved her new job. She now taught art classes right outside of the city. I was really happy for her. Roy had also left the Dunder Mifflin business and was now working in the warehouses of Staples, right after the wedding they moved out of their tiny apartment and moved into a 2 bedroom house just 20 minutes outside of Scranton. Pam also went on about how her mom wants her and Roy to have kids already, she said that they weren't ready at all for children yet. She said they were too busy unpacking and she had just started her new job not even a year ago. I️ understood and I️ could sensed she's been really stressed. I️ mean, she did change her whole life in less than a month, new house, new job. I️ felt quite bad for her. I️ stayed and talked to Pam and Roy for a while after that and ended up going home and just watching more ice cream and more calls to Jim. He couldn't wait to see me when he got back. We both missed each other. Without him here in Scranton, it was pretty boring. I️ miss Jim. But today was New Years Eve. And just like Christmas, I️ planned to stay home. Many of my friends had offered to have me over for Nee Year's but I️ promptly refused. I️ didn't like drinking or partying really, not my thing. I️ liked to stay at home and watch the ball drop underneath my 10,000 blankets. I️ planned to go to the store and get sparkling grape juice and pour it into shot glasses. It was pretty lame but I️ always did it for some reason. My mom did it when I️ was young to make me think I️ was drinking wine. And now me, sad and alone in my one bedroom apartment, still drank that sparkling grape juice to this day. I️ was at the store skimming the aisles for some sparkling grape juice. The place was mostly full of 40 year olds getting booze for their "raging" parties. I️ saw one lady who had a cart full of beer, might have been Meredith..... But I️ finally found what I️ was looking for and headed to the checkout.
"Having a party tonight?"The cashier asked. I️ didn't know what to say so I️ went along with it.
"Oh um yes I️ am." I️ lied.
"Well you might want wine rather than sparkling grape juice." She read the label. I️ quickly grabbed it from her when she scanned it.
"Oh no I'm perfectly fine thank you." I️ smiled.
"Okay......your total is $8.74." Lord it was expensive. C'mon four year olds can drink this, lower the price!!! I️ handed her the exact change and hurried back to my apartment. Once I️ got back I️ got out the shot glasses and plopped on my couch. I️ turned on the New Years Eve special and saw that the ball would drop in 15 minutes. I️ saw the herds of people around Times Square, I️ would hate to be there. There was currently some band playing on the stage in Los Angeles. I️ took a couple "shots" and sighed. Everyone's probably having the time of their lives right now. My parents are in Jamaica, Jim's with his family and everyone's probably out at some party having the time of their life. I️ wouldn't even get my New Years kiss. 10 more minutes. I️ was for sure just going to pass out on this couch after this. I️ took a couple more shots and turned my attention back to the screen. Britney Spears was singing "Toxic" in Chicago right now. I️ quietly sang along to the words. I️ didn't even have alcohol but I️ felt drunk. I️ was probably just tired. God, I️ was turning into some old lady. After the song was over there was only 5 minutes left. Now came the part where the hosts would talk about all the great things that had happened in the past year. That got me thinking of all the great things that happened in my year. Pam got married, I️ met Jim, I️ started my new job, Jim and I️ started dating, this list could go on and on. I️ was snapped out of my thoughts by a knock on the door. I️ got up to go get it, the countdown started to go off.
"10! 9!"
I️ walked to the door.
"8! 7!"
I️ reached for the handle.
"6! 5!"
I️ opened the door.
"4! 3!"
Jim was standing there. I️ was in shock.
"2! 1!"
He pulled me in for a kiss. And not just any kiss, my New Years kiss.